Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Choose what to dump in garbage dump zone  (Read 750 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Choose what to dump in garbage dump zone
« on: April 21, 2008, 07:08:00 pm »

I would like to see an option when designating a zone as a dump to open up a screen like that of a stockpile to enable us to choose what would be dumped there.

The default selection would be to accept anything marked for dumping which would give the same behaviour as the current system.

In particular this would enable rottable garbage to be dumped outside, while anything else is dumped in a location where it can be retrieved if necessary.

I use dumping zones to separate different stone materials without excessive space dedicated to stockpiles, and this currently requires a lot of micromanagement of enabling/disabling zones, which is why I would like to see a similar interface to the stockpile.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Choose what to dump in garbage dump zone
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 08:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Metalax:
<STRONG>I use dumping zones to separate different stone materials without excessive space dedicated to stockpiles, and this currently requires a lot of micromanagement of enabling/disabling zones, which is why I would like to see a similar interface to the stockpile.</STRONG>
The prevailing opinion around here is that quantum stockpiles like you refer to are, at the very least, ethically dubious.  :)

For dealing with corpses, I make a refuse pile outdoors set to accept everything except for skulls, bones, shells, and fresh hides. That works fine aside from the fact that every corpse returned to the butcher's shop by my hunters has to be taken back outside before it can be butchered.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 10:00:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>The prevailing opinion around here is that quantum stockpiles like you refer to are, at the very least, ethically dubious.   :)</STRONG>

Yes I know, but I don't see any problem considering trade depots/workshops can also hold infinite items.

quote:
<STRONG>For dealing with corpses, I make a refuse pile outdoors set to accept everything except for skulls, bones, shells, and fresh hides. That works fine aside from the fact that every corpse returned to the butcher's shop by my hunters has to be taken back outside before it can be butchered.</STRONG>

I normally do that too, but it doesn't allow for easy dumping of just organic refuse into a pit/chasm.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 10:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Metalax:
<STRONG>Yes I know, but I don't see any problem considering trade depots/workshops can also hold infinite items.</STRONG>
I'd say that's more an indication that depots and workshops are also expoloitable rather than that it's okay to exploit them. At least with workshops there's a penalty for overloading them, and presumably at some point you'll have to make more or bigger depots to handle the larger caravans.

The basic problem you're running into here is that you want to be able to reclaim items that you've marked for dumping. Dumping is for items that you explicitly do not want any more. If you want to get rid of something, mark it for dumping. If you just want it to take less room, then turn it into something that can be stored in a bin.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 02:48:00 pm »

I use dumping for stuff that I absolutely need moved now. It's also a more efficient way of moving brick/block stockpiles to a faraway building site.