Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dog benefits from brain damage? o_O?  (Read 1701 times)

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dog benefits from brain damage? o_O?
« on: March 13, 2009, 09:48:31 pm »

I had a dog at the front of my fort entrance tunnel.  He was only there to be an early warning system for my dwarfs to shut the floodgates, but he did fairly well.  The first kobold who came was killed by him, but he took some damage as well.  For sake of convenience I'll call him Dog.

So, the first battle he fights the kobold to death, but he broke his front right leg and got minor brain damage.  I didn't figure he would last long, but he wasn't meant to.  He was just meant to give the warning out and die.

Second battle was a baby snatcher.  He destroyed it.  Mangled and ripped limbs off and no damage to himself.  I was pleasantly surprised.

Third and fourth battle.  Two kobolds a couple days apart.  First one got away from Dog, lost his left leg.  He then died of thirst later.  Second kobold comes and promptly dies.  Still no further damage to Dog.

Fifth battle.  Baby snatcher comes.  Dog exacts karma and rips both it's arms off.  He ran and got away, but he wont be stealing babies again.  ^_^  Still no damage to Dog.

Sixth through tenth battle.  Goblin ambush!  First one of the game and a mere four goblins.  Dog kills 1, maims another and the last two retreat.  Dog still has no damage.

Eleventh battle.  My miners uncover the underground river parallel with my valley entrance.  They the skip off and leave the inhabitants to poor Dog to take care of.  I send my mason to fix the wall, but one olmman gets through.  The mason runs in panic, and leaves it to Dog to kill.  Dog kills the olmman, but is maimed in the upper body and dies of blood loss.

I felt kind of bad that he died.  I had set him there to just be a early warning system, but he had proved a good fighter.  Too bad he was incapable of walking or I would have assigned him to my real military.  As it is, he died a rather anti-climatic death.   :-[

Variance

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's scare some woodcutters, Billy.
    • View Profile
Re: Dog benefits from brain damage? o_O?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 09:53:58 pm »

It's like Forrest Gump mixed with Muhammad Ali. I hope Toady implements sympathetic proximity with engravings sometime, so you could make engravings around his dog-tomb and the dwarves would make them all about the dog being badass, like ripping goblins apart and leg-humping kobolds to death.
Why is everyone so angry?

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 10:16:07 pm »

It's like Forrest Gump mixed with Muhammad Ali

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 01:53:25 am »

It's like Forrest Gump mixed with Muhammad Ali leg-humping kobolds to death.

...why is it thats all I really see?
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 02:38:39 am »

Dogs can be pretty awesome. After he killed his first few enemies, I would have let him off his leash, trained him, and assigned him to my favorite military dwarf. That's what I did with one of the dogs in a previous fort, and any goblin wrestler he met he immediately killed. It was scary.

I think dogs benefit from killing like megabeasts and other critters do, so it's not critical to keep them alive, but it is pretty nifty if they can manage to stay alive.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
  • A Vile Force of Dorkness has Arrived!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 03:33:55 pm »

I always male sure I have about 4-6 war dogs with me when I embark. Not only do they take care of any local mean beasts, but I can also assign them to my wood cutters and fishers to protect them, and take care of any random snatchers and thieves.
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Play dead! *KERCHUNK* YIPE! Good dog.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 06:26:11 pm »

Many players retire brain-damaged or spinal-injured military dwarves to the Royal Guard.  In addition to the war dogs near the front gate, I also have a couple dogs on chains in front of my artifact vault.  When one of my gate guard dogs gets a permanent injury and kills a thief, I retire him to artifact vault guard duty.

Broadsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 11:43:21 pm »

Fuck the dog, did you get the name of the goblin snatcher that got its named ripped off? After a couple of years look that shit up in legends.

Chandrasekhar

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIES_WHEN_KILLED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 06:22:33 am »

Pretty sure it will be listed in Legends under the fortress's name as the "fifth attempted abduction at Lovetunnels" or whatever.  Checking each abduction and looking for a goblin that got his arms ripped off should reveal the name.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 07:19:53 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

poor doggy! he saves the fort. while on the brink of death's door...

he gets no respect! le sad :'(.
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.