Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Prince of Persia - Which one do I want?  (Read 1909 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prince of Persia - Which one do I want?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 03:53:49 pm »

yay I'm getting a whole new load of new trouble :/

fucker doesnt run with the gamepad.

Well in fact, he does, but not when i tilt the stick exactly front / left / right / back.

slight deviation, fine, he runs. And yeah, I checked the calibration :( this sucks.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 05:47:49 pm »

Sounds like you're going to have to do what I do when playing Persona using a Gamecube pad. The movement grid is 90 degrees off of every other grid-based movement system, so I've got to rotate my controller to the correct position.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 07:30:19 pm »

well, the movement grid isnt off 90% of the time, just when the camera decides its time for SUPER AWESOME BANZAI ANGLE MODE. Then it goes from left=left to left=turn left, but just as long as you dont let go of that stick. But the best part is; it's not even reliable \o/ no really, I love it. Its so horribly unreliable its funny. sometimes it picks up the new direction right away, sometimes you can keep the stick tilted.

But by now I played the first levels, and I have to say its really really terrible what the camera decides to do be it just hovering to weird angles, or much worse, changing the viewpoint just like that. It does it A LOT. Especially in small rooms, where you decide to have a matrix style fights with lots of jumping and some wallrunning for good measure. Especially if you decide to hang around the trigger area and do a lot of to and froing it can get nauseating  ;D

But I decided to stick to the gamepad, and indeed it wasnt as bad. it's just you know you cant be clinging to that camera controlling stick while you have to fumble around jump and special move buttons frantically just so you dont die. So you tend to forget about the camera more easily.

With the mouse thats a whole different story, because I want to control the guy FPS style right away. you know, pseudo strafe around corners by tilting the camera beforehand and whatnot. and that's simply impossible with such crappy controls.

Also the not running part is really weird, but kind of solved. There are areas in which a full forward tilt means run, and then are areas in which a full forward tilt means walk, walk some more, then slowly start to run. in those you have to trick the guy into running my wobbling around just slightly left and right of full tilt forward.

So I guess its just some of those... suggestions ... the game forces you to accept. just like the funny camera angles it prefers over those i choose to use... or rather TRY to choose to use but constantly get told not to :/ I dont want to play a movie i want to play a fucking game :(

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 02:29:10 pm »

I had the game for XBox, and I loved it.  The camera angles weren't that bad, and it felt so fluid and awesome.  What's really great is if you can make it all the way through one of the CRAZY LONG TWISTY TRAPPED HALLWAYS that you'll start seeing later in the game without ever having to use rewind.  It's like something in a movie.
Shoes...

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 02:51:18 pm »

Ida know... I installed warrior within... and while you guys seem to agree it lacks in storytelling... it seems a lot more polished and comfortable to play.

Camera is less bitchy, no stupid issues with the control pad and the running stuff...

My guess is... nobody really bothered to polish sands of time for the PC.
Pages: 1 [2]