Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Combat Flashes on Mini-Map  (Read 700 times)

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
Combat Flashes on Mini-Map
« on: February 14, 2008, 02:45:00 am »

One of my favorite things to do in 38a is to set goblins to LIKES_SITE:CITY and TOLERATES_SITE:CITY, causing them to attempt to move into human-held lands. This, of course, results in a brutal bloodletting on both sides every time I walk into a town.  The problem is that I have no idea where the combat is occurring, and since every step generates a page or more of combat dialogue, it can be arduous to wander around the town to find the poor, hapless villagers as they're being slaughtered.

I don't know what's going to be implemented in the mini-map during the course of the Army Arc, but I do know that it would be nice if combat within a zone caused a particular square to blink red on the mini-map to indicate the direction the sound is coming from.  Likewise, even flashing the cardinal directions in the upper left-hand corner would help players to determine where the shouts and screams are located.  Since we can "hear" the combat messages, we should be able to determine the direction from which the sounds came.

Derp.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Flashes on Mini-Map
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 07:53:00 am »

This is a great idea, haven't even seen it before (normally we get repetitions of old ideas once in a while).  Would make battles far more fun, and a bit more tactical too.  Definately thumbs up.
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Flashes on Mini-Map
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 08:17:00 am »

Being able to tell where combat is occurring has been talked abut since before 3D.  It's still a good idea.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!