Yes :'(
- 201 (86.6%)
Nope! ;D
- 15 (6.5%)
What's HFS? :o
- 16 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 232

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Did you spoil HFS for yourself?  (Read 4699 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Did you spoil HFS for yourself?
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2009, 03:18:08 am »

Oh hells yea. Well, not personally. This is my chance to be surprised but by god someone will.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fly, you fools!
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2009, 07:47:54 am »

I didn't exactly spoil it for myself as have it spoiled for me.  I was first encouraged to get into DF by reading many of the more popular community fortresses, and a lot of those stories mention it in the OOC discussion.  Once I knew approximately what the HFS was, I didn't feel bad about looking it up and reading about it.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2009, 08:59:56 am »

I didn't know what HFS meant at all, and it took me a while to figure out it was pretty much, well, all the Hidden Fun Stuff in DF.

I ended up spoiling it for me since I tend to play in flat wooded areas far away from mountains.

But ironically enough, right after I actually struck HFS on one of my forts, I abandoned it since I had chosen a local area much too large and my FPS was down to such a speed that I had to wait over two hours for a single season to go through.

Note to self: an Athlon 3000+ is not enough to play DF to its full extent.  :(  It's too bad since I love sieges and those require a population over 100.  Can you believe I haven't even seen one troll among the gobbos so far?  Hell, it's a miracle of God if I can get the map to spawn a badly maimed Titan offered on a silver plate.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 09:02:28 am by Shurikane »

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2009, 12:39:31 am »

Despite reading about it before finding it, I don't consider it spoiled.  My first encounter with one was still unexpected, as was the flood of elven stoners who flooded out of it.  And then my miner blundered into a demon and soon i got overwhelmed by a tide of tentacle horror. 

My second encounter i probably over-prepped (especially as it turned out to be a less baleful variety), and utterly destroyed it.  But only because it killed me once.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2009, 12:05:03 pm »

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Stofoleez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2009, 01:53:26 pm »

Look... the fact of the matter is that unless you played the 2d version... You weren't going to find the HFC by chance

So anyone here who votes Yes who only played the 3d version is a Liar!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2009, 02:39:49 pm »

My epic thread:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=15930.0

See folks?  This is why we use spoilers on everything related to HFS.

We would love another thread like that.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2009, 09:03:53 pm »

heh, i remember trying to make myself avoid the 'MASSIVE SPOILERS' in the "Mechanics of Thoughts" section of the wiki for a week or so before I gave in and went "oh, well duh, that's exactly how I thought they worked"

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2009, 09:14:46 pm »

My epic thread:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=15930.0

This:
This thread contains more stupidity than almost any other I have seen in this forum. Not from Puzzlemaker, who seems to be doing fine, but from all the individuals who think "Ohohoho I'm so clever, I'll drop not-so-veiled hints about the <B>DEMONS THAT WILL COME OUT OF THE PITS</B> that anyone with half a brain could figure out, yet I'm not spoiling anything, no, this will be a glorious trainwreck."<P>If you really wanted him to be surprised by it, you should have kept quiet. Don't drop hints. Hints reveal things.   :roll:
Props to Bricktop, too, for telling people to shut up.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]