Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Did I break my marksdwarves?  (Read 1193 times)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Did I break my marksdwarves?
« on: March 05, 2009, 02:30:04 pm »

A (game) year or so ago, I told my mostly-legendary marksdwarves to leave their crossbows aside and train wrestling for some time. Problem is, now that most are legendary wrestlers, they refuse to train at the archery range and keep sparring in the barracks, as if they've given up marksdwarfship.

Worst of all, during the last siege, I placed them on their usual, fortified firing spot on the first floor of the gatehouse, and I think only a couple fired at the greenskins. Perhaps the others are considered wrestlers and will only engage the enemy. In which case I'm screwed.

In case most of my marksdwarves have in fact turned into permanent wrestlers, is there any way I can edit the savegame so to bring their Wrestling skills a couple of levels? :-\

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Did I break my marksdwarves?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 02:40:08 pm »

Apparently, this is a known .40d bug.

a) I think this has been reported for .40d several times. I had the same behavior with my only well-trained marksdwarf/hammerdwarf in my last fort - he only used his crossbow for melee, both sparring and when on active duty.

b) Generally AFAIK you could check if this dwarf is holding something strange in his left hand that prevents him from picking up bolts. (I quit that fort out of boredom though so I'm not sure if that caused my marksdwarf to not want to use bolts ...)

Compare these...
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=26107.0

There goes half my army. What am I supposed to do now? :'(

EDIT: It'd seem wrestlers end up with random stuff they yank off their opponents in their hands. Having removed those stray items, my marksdwarves are back to normal. :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 03:06:46 pm by Greenbane »

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 04:34:10 pm »

Yep, this happens quite often when wrestling. I also think I have had this happen with soldiers set to use melee weapons as well. At least two times I had a soldier set to use a hammer, but later noticed that he had a backpack or something in his hand and had not only dropped the hammer, but reverted to 'unarmed' in the military/weapons menu. This happened while playing with humans so I don't know if that had an effect.

Dumping the extra items does fix this. However this means even more micromanagement for soldiers, as now I have to check all the time not only for sparring injuries but for extra items as well :P I suppose the next release will fix this, what with the entire soldier inventory management stuff that's listed in the dev plan.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 08:16:40 pm »

Yeah, after a while I noticed my champion-wrestler axedwarves weren't produced chopped-off goblin bits when they fought sieges.
But they were still gaining axe skill when they sparred. This might be a good way to train melee dwarves with less risk of injury.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 02:19:18 am »

to combat this i simply train my intended legendary wrestlers in 'waves'. set them up sparring (altogether in one squad), let them get to legendary, then dump all their items and have them re-equip. cuts down on looking for that one dwarf among many who isn't using his bow etc

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 12:06:21 pm »

I think I was able to get around this problem by changing the squad leader of the 2-4 dwarf squads, assigning them a patrol, deleting it, stationing them somewhere, activate, deactivate etc etc etc. I think what happens is that as a squad of dwarves train, one dwarf in the squad reaches legendary or elite faster than the current squad leader and becomes the squad leader, leaving ghost junk ideas in the dwarves' head about whatever kind of training they were previously doing. Sometimes my dwarves would ignore the station assigned to them and stand where they were stationed previously or while belonging to a different squad, changing up their squad settings and such can reset these junk datas... Good luck.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.