Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Gripe Consensus  (Read 726 times)

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Gripe Consensus
« on: March 03, 2009, 09:54:34 pm »

I'd like to see a feature that allows you to ask your fortress leader "What does my fortress need?"  The fortress leader's duties involves consoling angry dwarves, holding meetings, and so on.  With all that socialization, the leader presumably knows what most of the dwarves' biggest gripes are.  So in the nobles screen, the fortress leader, mayor, or whoever the highest-ranking dwarf is could have an option that explains what the top three complaints about the fortress are.  This would save a lot of micromanagement, as you could get a large amount of information without individually going to 200 different dwarves' psyche profiles to see what was causing negative thoughts.

"34 dwarves were in caught in the rain lately, 20 dwarves complained about a lack of chairs lately, and 15 complained about drinking the same old booze."

This would not only decrease the amount of micromanagement for experienced players, it would provide built-in reinforcement for new players to help teach them what their current fortress lacks, and (as undwarven as this might seem at present) give all players a reason NOT to drop their nobles into magma.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Gripe Consensus
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 10:15:46 pm »

It could be a new tab in the overview, like Stocks.
It'd also need a worker-noble, like the Stocks page. (more work = more accuracy)
A censustakerdwarf!
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 10:21:51 pm »

It kind of seems like it should be the Mayor's job.  The Mayor gets elected by having lots of friends, so s/he should put those social skills to use.  The Mayor also listens to dwarves' complaints already.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 10:32:04 pm »

+10 to support for OP's idea
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 10:40:12 pm »

A stocks screen option based on the Mayor's listening to people would be the best option, IMO.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Rakeela

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 11:39:19 pm »

I also think it should be a Mayoral job. 

If it's a settings-enabled task, how would the higher accuracy settings work?  In terms of dwarven timecost, I mean.  The bookkeeper spends more time updating the records from their office, but surveying the fort isn't really an office-capable tasks.  Perhaps the mayor spends more time interrupting other dwarves with a 'take survey' job in order to generate the higher accuracy/more frequent number updates/longer lists of complaints?

Edit:  Possibly even a 'Conduct Meeting' job, although then you'd never get them out of their office.
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the blood god, for it is a dwarven number.  It's number is five-hundred and eighty nine.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53222.0

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 12:29:44 am »

I think that this is a good idea. Things like this could probably be found for other nobles, which would make them useful and sympathetic (hey, they listen to complaints instead of making them! What a twist).

Ezuku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 08:15:54 am »

I love the ideal of collated complaints/thoughts.

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 09:31:30 am »

This would definitely be a useful tool to have around.  Especially if you could see which individuals were complaining about each thing,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hmmm... will personality traits be hereditary next version? ideas ideas ideas....
Fefeshnelmargalip

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 10:40:42 pm »

Woe to the Dwarven census-taker who surveys a stark raving mad dwarf, though. 
Census-Taker: Yeah. Well, I just need to fill out this Census form with you. Uh.. how many people live in this residence?

Mr. Leonard:Oh, boy.. good question. I'm bad with numbers.. Maybe 80.

Census-Taker: 80 people live in this apartment?

Mr. Leonard: Seems high, doesn't it? Not 80. How about 4? I don't know.. I'm so bad at guestimating..

Census-Taker: Well, just take your time, and count.

Mr. Leonard: Okay.. there's me.. my wife.. our plants.. we have some candy bars..

Census-Taker: Well, you know, we don't count candy bars or plants..

Mr. Leonard: Well, then, there's just the two of us. Boy, I really overshot with the 80!
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.