Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Fallout thread  (Read 930 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Another Fallout thread
« on: March 04, 2009, 06:47:48 pm »

Playing Fallout 2, I decided to play as the quintessential pacifist, smart, well liked and weak. With that goal in mind I decided to venture out into the wasteland to spread peace to the world!

That went out the window pretty quickly. Turns out, whilst most people can listen to reason when you have a high speech skill radscorpions and raiders are less forgiving. I am now training small guns skill franticly. Thank God for rifles.

Also, has anyone played as a pacifist before? How did you do it?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Another Fallout thread
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 07:11:58 pm »

Get a reasonably high agility stat, so that you can run fast when the need arise. Alternatively, recruit a bunch of npcs to protect your pacifist ass.
Honestly, pure pacifism is hardly possible, as there are too many quests where you just *have* to fight.(rats, geckos, aliens etc.)
If you want an intersting weakling-ish character, take finesse+gifted; melee weapons tag skill; put a lot of points towards int, agility, char; You're going to do a lot of fighting with a spear - crippling legs, arms etc. to survive, but it's very rewarding.
If your perception is not too low, you can switch to sniper rifle/gauss gun later in the game.
Unless you'll take unarmed combat for a tag skill as well, the temple of trials is going to be a pain, though.

Anyway, I've been trying to find all the movies that the creators of Fallout based their game on. I'm pretty sure that Mad Max 2&3 are one of the sources of inspiration, as well as "A boy and his dog". Anybody knows of some others?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 07:18:17 pm »

Anyway, I've been trying to find all the movies that the creators of Fallout based their game on. I'm pretty sure that Mad Max 2&3 are one of the sources of inspiration, as well as "A boy and his dog". Anybody knows of some others?
If there's one thing Wikipedia is good for, it's useless facts. This is the original Fallout article, but there's pretty much a hundred percent chance that you'll find more information on articles for the rest of the series.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 03:49:04 am »

Go directly to San Francisco. Get the infiltration quest from the BoS. Infiltrate Navarro. Take Advanced Power Armor. Return to start, begin playing the game. You can now be a pacifist.
!!&!!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 04:04:41 am »

That, while a good idea, makes the game a bit easy. Also, I always end up killing the guy who wards away people. Kill all wastelanders my ass

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 04:04:56 am »

Go directly to San Francisco. Get the infiltration quest from the BoS. Infiltrate Navarro. Take Advanced Power Armor. Return to start, begin playing the game. You can now be a pacifist.
Do not pass go, do not collect $200?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.