Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Scenarios/Goals  (Read 1560 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Scenarios/Goals
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 08:57:51 am »

Yeah, this has been discussed before...[what a surprise!  ;D]
Anyway, I am not sure that what would be the point in a mission/scenario based DF. You can set goals for yourself already. DF's gameplay and gameworld is not designed for scenario based gameplay. This is my opinion.  :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 09:00:45 am »

The game does give you goals it just never tells you what they are.

If people gave you goals according to what is happening in the world that would make sense.

a Royal proclamation to destroy that Dark Fortress or an order to give a Noble who is above you... a certain number of your troops or supplies.

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 01:29:05 pm »

Please no. The fun of Dwarf Fortress is the fact that I can make my own goals, like a Tower of Babel or an obsidian fortress surrounded by lava populated by a single dwarf and his army of tame skeletal polar bear minions. If you start adding missions it will take away from the original game.

Besides for the fact that the game is far from finished. I don't want the next 50 updates to be mission packs.
This is to make me recognizable.

knightedskull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 06:55:33 pm »

Besides for the fact that the game is far from finished. I don't want the next 50 updates to be mission packs.

Agreed, time spent on these missions/scenarios would be better off either improving the game or maybe...the next game  :P    Fine with this one.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 05:21:55 pm »

Agreed, time spent on these missions/scenarios would be better off either improving the game or maybe...the next game  :P    Fine with this one.

Would it kill you to read the original post? Nobody's talking about "mission packs".

Well, okay, Tallefred is talking about mission packs. But nobody supports mission packs.

knightedskull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2009, 08:51:16 pm »

Would it kill you to read the original post? Nobody's talking about "mission packs".

Well, okay, Tallefred is talking about mission packs. But nobody supports mission packs.
Who says I haven't? It may be nice for player made scenarios, but i don't see it working much with dwarf fortress.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 01:27:36 am »

Goals would be there for those that need to have something to do. It would possible to completely ignore. And with scenarios it would be a way to have special rules that wouldnt normally apply without having to mod anything.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 03:38:59 pm »

Doing missions such as helping your King would mean two things

A) The King would favor you more
and
B) The King would do better

Perhaps after ignoring him long enough... and perhaps not supporting him by attacking his enemies... your Mayor ends up being King simply because your the last fort standing... and now your against both the Elves and Goblins.

I think the fact that the world goes on even without you is a possitive thing... even if that means you can't sit on your butt and expect everything to remain the same.

That is why Scenarios and Goals need to be in the game in one form... but as I said it should be based on the current situation. In otherwords it should be the world reacting to itself as well as a way for the world to tell you what is happening. For example you may not know the King is losing the war... but you will when you begs you for troops. You don't have to do anything, but you will know what will happen as a result in the same way you know not feeding your dwarves will kill them.
Pages: 1 [2]