Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tapping trees and bushes for extracts  (Read 2430 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Tapping trees and bushes for extracts
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 10:28:36 pm »

Ah.  I see.  Well.  Yeah, I can see that being a problem.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 10:44:50 pm »

Other things bad about it too, but I forget what it was.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 12:47:33 am »

"Pure HCl" is kind of a misnomer, since acids only really act as acids when they're in solution with water. You can't really "pour" the pure substance on you, because at room temperature it's a gas, and even if it were solid wouldn't do anything until you threw water on it, at which point it would no longer be "pure".

Also, I'm pretty sure saguaro are safe. A lot of other plants/cacti may not be, but I'm almost positive that those are. I can't really find anything to back that up at the moment, though.

And if you see a dude in a TV show tapping a cactus, it's pretty much GOING to be a saguaro anyway.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 12:49:09 am by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 02:03:47 am »

I live in the desert surrounded by Saguaro cacti, I've never heard of 'tapping' them for water in the way one might do with Maple Syrup.  Even if they did drip water like that the evaporation rates are far to high to accumulate water in a bucket.  But I believe you can eat the cactus flesh and its fruits for there moisture content but that's actually much easier with a cactus called Jumping Cholla, its composed of small segments that detach at the slightest brush and stick to you with spines.  The trick is to actually light one of these detached segments on fire, the needles flash-burn in a matter of seconds leaving a safe to handle and succulent fruit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_Cholla
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 02:07:19 am by Impaler[WrG] »
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 11:06:54 am »

I actually think it is poisonous.  Most cacti have excess of oxalic acid in them, the same stuff which is in rhubarb leaves.   Drink very much cacti-water and you will be losing pieces of stomach.   Not that you could actually stand to drink it.  The TV shows where they tap barrel cacti... yeah.. that would end them quick unless they knew what type of cacti they were tapping *one or two species are safe*.

If you want to get the effect, Try drinking some CLR cleaner.

Could you provide a citation for the levels being dangerously high?  Lots of edible foods like spinach contain it too.

I found this source which states 518 mg of oxalic acid per 100 g of prickly pear, which is about .5% by weight.  This site claims that spinach is closer to 1% oxalic acid.  So it looks like you could eat cactus in moderation without any problems.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 11:11:13 am by Footkerchief »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009, 11:30:23 am »

Pure HCl acting as an acid would be defined as the highest concentration of HCl possible at the temperature the solution is at.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2009, 12:13:18 pm »

I actually think it is poisonous.  Most cacti have excess of oxalic acid in them, the same stuff which is in rhubarb leaves.   Drink very much cacti-water and you will be losing pieces of stomach.   Not that you could actually stand to drink it.  The TV shows where they tap barrel cacti... yeah.. that would end them quick unless they knew what type of cacti they were tapping *one or two species are safe*.

If you want to get the effect, Try drinking some CLR cleaner.

Could you provide a citation for the levels being dangerously high?  Lots of edible foods like spinach contain it too.

I found this source which states 518 mg of oxalic acid per 100 g of prickly pear, which is about .5% by weight.  This site claims that spinach is closer to 1% oxalic acid.  So it looks like you could eat cactus in moderation without any problems.

Most are edible in moderation, but using them as a water source would go far beyond a simple side dish with a meal.   If you attempted to drink spinach juice as your only water source you would probably die due to renal failure. Alot of health journals recommend cooking spinach because it reduces the acidity, and they all recommend avoiding it if you have calcium absorption problems or you are having kidney problems. 

There are also some other nasty things in cacti which preclude many of them from a water source. 

But you are right, as a supplemental food source MOST cacti will not kill their eaters.  It is only when they are stepped up to become a water source that fatalities happen.

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 03:55:58 pm »

I think it may only be useable as a supplemental water source.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2009, 04:36:28 pm »

With this relevation... It may be prudent to see what the makeup of many trees Sap is.
Pages: 1 [2]