Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Can you really build with chalk?  (Read 7965 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Can you really build with chalk?
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2009, 08:47:09 pm »

people can be alergic to ANYTHING. lol

To OP: yeah, in DF you can even build with rocksalt and it won't dissolve your aqueduct.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2009, 08:51:11 pm »

Rock salt is different than table salt.  It does dissolve, but not as easily.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2009, 11:24:18 pm »

Still, flowing water through a trough of any water-soluble mineral should promptly dissolve it.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2009, 11:59:52 pm »

Promptly means immediately and quickly.  Anyway, there is a limit to how much of something can dissolve in a given amount of water.  This is why we can, in fact, have exposed ranges of rock salt; the small amount of rain can't dissolve the whole mountain.  And then, when it dries, the dissolved rock salt would be back.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2009, 12:12:53 am »

The Romans wouldn't have built the Masada ramp out of anything but the local rock.  The Dead Sea area is full of chalky clay and sandstone impregnated with chalk, but this isn't the solid chalk from the White Cliffs of Dover or anything.

Buildings have been made out of chalk, and while they're falling apart now, that's after hundreds of years.  So yes, chalk is doable.  I don't know about rings and mugs, but if anyone could pull it off, Dwarves could.

Talc on the other hand is crumbly stuff, totally useless for building.

Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2009, 12:19:02 am »

Rock, at any size, does not snap like a twig, people!  It's harder to work into any shape than wood.  Rings should be doable.  you can make a ring outta wood, you can make a ring outta stone.
Just so I remember

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2009, 12:26:21 am »

Okay, rings perhaps.  Probably easier than other rock.  It'll certainly be fragile (girl I knew broke at least a half dozen jade rings) but it'll work.

Talc, I still think not.  My favorite is rock salt though.  A rock salt mug.  Mmm.

Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2009, 01:53:55 am »

Promptly means immediately and quickly.  Anyway, there is a limit to how much of something can dissolve in a given amount of water.  This is why we can, in fact, have exposed ranges of rock salt; the small amount of rain can't dissolve the whole mountain.  And then, when it dries, the dissolved rock salt would be back.

An aqueduct is like a river or stream flowing through a man-made channel. It would not last long, we're talking about thousands of gallons an hour in most buildings like that, and flowing fast, too.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2009, 08:33:48 am »

But you said trough, which generally aren't used for moving water around.
Just so I remember

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2009, 02:03:00 pm »

Chalk would have similar problems if the water is acidic even more so.
It's how dripping caves are created: limstone dissolves in water and is deposited elsewhere when the water evaporates or soluability of the water is altered by temperature, other dissolvates, etc.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2009, 02:48:21 pm »

Limestone doesn't dissolve the way table salt does.  If you have frequent rains on a mound of table salt and a mound of limestone, both of equal mass, the limestone will still be there after several years, possible hundreds.  The table salt quickly gets washed away.  This has a lot to do with the solubility equilibrium constants of the two substance, or the Ksp.  Ksp is a fairly complicated subject, though (we had to do a retake of that in my AP chemistry class).
Just so I remember

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2009, 07:55:05 pm »

I know. Hence the similar, not identical problem. :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]