Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ladders  (Read 492 times)

rwilliams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ladders
« on: September 11, 2010, 03:56:44 pm »

Building multiple z-level walls would be much easier if dwarves would only discover ladder technology.

They could be built out of wood or metal, and you could determine how tall you wanted them to be. Taller ladders would require more resources. When it was finished, you could either build it to be used like a staircase or let it be used by a mason or carpenter the same way a miner uses a pick. Say you wanted to build a stone wall wall 5 z-units high. Urist McMason would pick up the ladder, go to the site, put down the first stone, set the ladder down, climb it, and build each level until he was done. Then he'd go put it back in the furniture stockpile. Or hold onto it and never put it down even if he was lying in bed with a broken spine and his guts hanging out. Either way.

As it stands now though, building very tall and very wide walls involves a big mess of ramps and scaffolds, and I think a lot of that could be avoided if some intelligent dwarf just invented a ladder.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
Re: Ladders
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 04:06:54 pm »

If my memory serves correctly, your suggestion of the ladders was something Toady was considering for 0.31.x series. But it got dropped it due to how much work the pathfinder would have to do with it (since he would have to recode the pathfinder a whole lot just to make it work. which is why he stuck with stairs for now.)

But I will say here, I'm still interested in it, and hopfully he'll consider placeing them in eventually (maybe after he rewrites the path finding deep in the future?)
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!