Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: SO AS I WAS JUST MINDING MY OWN BUSINESS  (Read 3190 times)

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
Re: SO AS I WAS JUST MINDING MY OWN BUSINESS
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2009, 07:35:00 pm »

Are those kobolds? Elves? Goblins?
 I always wanted to imply graphics sets were difficult to understand in a proper context.

They're elves.

Once you see the tiles represented in context for the first time, a memory is formed and they become identifiable at a glance. It's no more abstract than colored text, and can be less so.

Claiming they're difficult to understand due to unfamiliarity is like claiming a language is hard to speak because you never studied it.  :P

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2009, 07:48:40 pm »

I suppose so. However, this means graphics sets are no better than letters for recognition.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2009, 10:17:46 pm »

It also means that the custom blob creature I am planning on eventually making actually looks like titties. And not the letter w. Which would be boring. and not titties.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2009, 11:01:59 pm »

This had better not be for one of the adult mods. We don't need another one of those threads.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2009, 01:05:44 am »

How did you manage to get elves attacking you so early?  it usually takes me years of drowning the bastards before they work out im not friendly.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2009, 02:35:48 am »

Once you see the tiles represented in context for the first time, a memory is formed and they become identifiable at a glance. It's no more abstract than colored text, and can be less so.

Claiming they're difficult to understand due to unfamiliarity is like claiming a language is hard to speak because you never studied it.  :P

I'm not convinced that's true.  Assuming you have familiarity with the roman alphabet, the letter has information even if you've never seen it before.  Ie, a 'B' is going to be something large that begins with B, like a Bear.  A 'g' is going to be something small that begins with g, like a goblin or groundhog.  Thus, there are two pieces of information.

(1) the letter tells us about what type of creature it probably is.
(2) the capitalization or lack thereof tells us about its size.  (Capitals are human+ size, lower case are smaller than that.)

Further, those who have played rogue-like games will recognize some symbols right off (k for kobold, for instance, or D for Dragon).  Honestly, I got a little confused when I first played because it *didn't* use the *band system.  But in some ways the DF system is probably more intuitive for those who haven't played a rogue-like, although it reduces the amount of information the letter conveys (when g can be both groundhogs and goblins, seeing a g is no longer as informative as it could be).

Tiles are uninformative because there is no information before you establish a specific memory of it.  Tiles have the same problems in rogue-likes (and are generally disfavored by that community for that reason).

Finally, what does it do when the creatures have weapon specialties?  Are those all different tiles?  Isn't it easier to glance at a color and know its a hammer goblin or a spear goblin instead of trying to make out what its tiny weapon is?  (I get confused every time I see screenshots with tiles).

Basically, my point is that the abstraction of text is an advantage that aids in comprehension, and not a disadvantage at all.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2009, 09:35:24 am »

I enjoy tile sets. They are easier for me to deal with. I would of never even BOTHERED with dwarf Fortress if not for tilesets.
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2009, 05:55:25 pm »

I enjoy tile sets. They are easier for me to deal with. I would of never even BOTHERED with dwarf Fortress if not for tilesets.
Comments said in this manner make you look bad in the eyes of those who like ASCII and find that graphics tilesets look too busy.  They also make it sound like you base game grade on graphics rather than gameplay.

Please be careful how you say things so's we don't get flame wars about graphics.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2009, 06:05:46 pm »

Comments said in this manner make you look bad in the eyes of those who like ASCII and find that graphics tilesets look too busy.  They also make it sound like you base game grade on graphics rather than gameplay.

Please be careful how you say things so's we don't get flame wars about graphics.

I will kill him for you, nice and slow, and very cheap for hating on my ASCII. When I'm done, you get to keep the sharks I used his remains to fish for, ok?

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2009, 09:25:25 pm »

So, 7 dwarves. No immigrants yet.

Ambush of eight elf wrestlers, eight elf bowmen, and one unicorn- all decloak in my partially constructed courtyard.

Both of my animals guarding the entrance died noble deaths. Luckily I got almost everyone else ready in the dining room and beat the elves up as they rushed in. I lost one dwarf (he was next to them when they decloaked), and another has a red lung and is pissed off cause he was friends with the one that died.

Yeah, being at war with elves is fun.
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2009, 10:40:38 pm »

I will kill him for you, nice and slow, and very cheap for hating on my ASCII. When I'm done, you get to keep the sharks I used his remains to fish for, ok?

Your right, It did come out rather bare.

I merely meant that when I first tried the game, the ascii overwhelmed me,

"What the hell is that? An elf swordsman? An elf spearman?"

A Graphic tileset just made it easier for me to differentiate between the objects n such. It helped overcome teh first hurdle of the game. (it also made tree's easier to tell apart from anything else. So every now and then I can reclaim my 'just featherwood' site, build a bit more, then erase any trace of my dorfs for the next reclaim.)

But anyway, enough with the derailing.
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

coldstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold stone given life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2009, 11:26:47 pm »

what method are you guys using to post your images? do you all use imageshack or something?
are there size rules on the forum?
just wondering.
 :P

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2009, 02:45:48 am »

what method are you guys using to post your images? do you all use imageshack or something?
are there size rules on the forum?
just wondering.
 :P

Please hide pics in Spoilers for sanitys sake.

Boatmurdered's Revenge! Serious Dwarfin' Business!:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."
Pages: 1 2 [3]