Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has an enemy ever earned your respect?  (Read 1296 times)

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Has an enemy ever earned your respect?
« on: March 10, 2009, 12:21:41 am »

Sure, most of us have tales of how our adventurer singlehandedly depopulated an entire world with thrown vermin, or how a member of our military held off an entire goblin siege by himself, but have you ever been so impressed by an enemy's performance that you actually felt respect for him/her/it?

Today an elite goblin bowman managed to fire up into the top level of one of my 8-z-level towers at the two legendary champion marksdwarves that were raining iron bolts down on him.  They dispatched him, but despite their masterwork steel plate over masterwork steel chainmail, one suffered a mangled right foot and the other suffered a mangled left hand before they finally perforated his internal organs.  What is even more impressive is that this gobbo pulled this feat off apparently unconcerned with the hammerdwarf and legendary macedwarf (armed with an artifact steel mace) that were beating on him.

I dumped his remains in an isolation chamber and constructed a craftsdwarf's workshop in it so that I could create a skull totem and decorate it with his other bones, without getting his remains mixed with the other dead.  Then I put said totem in one of the tombs that I bury my dead soldiers in.

Amxu Olauksos, you were no goblin.  You were a dwarf that was born with green skin by mistake.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 09:59:12 am by Bromor Neckbeard »

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Has an enemy ever earned your respect?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 12:35:46 am »

That's a pretty awesome way to deal with a legendary enemy.

Hm, respect for an enemy... there was a goblin legendary melee-weapon-of-some-sort user in adventurer mode whom met me in combat. If I recall, after several minor strikes back and fourth I dealt him a mortal blow. He responded by sending me flying into a nearby wall. I presume he died, as we crawled out of there as fast as our little legs would take us.

When a guy without a working heart can send something bigger than himself flying six spaces into a stone wall, you don't really wanna hang around.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 07:51:09 am »

Once in adventure mode I lost three different spears in the same goblin, before he yanked them all out one by one and stuck them in ME.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 09:30:05 am »

Once in adventure mode I lost three different spears in the same goblin, before he yanked them all out one by one and stuck them in ME.

This is movie material! Bah, I should play more often in adventure mode... ::)

Taal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 10:18:31 am »

Neckbeard: If possible, Could I have the name of the Goblin, the name of his killer, the name of your fortress and the year please?

I once built a fortress, completely open to goblin attack, in a wide open plain. The idea was to meet the goblin invaders head on and defeat them in Melee combat. The most Dwarfly way to defeat invaders!. However every ambush and seige on this fortress before I abandonned it was intercepted and routed by the local heard of elephants. I gained alot of respect for those king of beasts in that fortress.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 10:21:05 am »

Yeah. Him. Guy took out over a squad of experienced dwarves, including a champion. Most of whom were in steel, if not better (modded in metals). I really wasn't sure how I was going to handle the guy for a while there.

He was a Chaos Dwarf, though, so guess if anyone would be match for Dwarven Champions it'd be a Chaos Dwarf Champion.

His body just got dumped, though, with the rest of the corpses. I was too busy trying to figure out everything that happened and chronicle it to think about anything else.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Egil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 10:48:17 am »

One exeptional goblin axe lord in an old fort. He was caught in a cage trap during a seige and I decided to turn him into an unwilling gladiator, and use him as training for my meelee dwarfs. However he proved to be a lot tougher than any of my best men, killing many of my elites in single combat. For a while I was just gonna gather a squat of marksdwarfs and have him shot, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. So he served as a kind of ultimate chalenge for my champions. He lived for a good few years until a legendary hammerlord (I think) bested him. I never gave his body any special attention, but his memory lives on.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 11:30:39 am »

I fought a camel god once. Immortal camel god. Was a bug a year ago or so where this camel horde (around 30 of them) would chase down and hunt my dwarves until a few of them became named with huge long names. When I fought back, they slaughtered my military (80% legendaries) and sustained red injuries all over the place like in the heart, brain, etc...  but constantly healed themselves in a split second.

I remember their leader's name, Onolerar. Unfortuantely, he died to the great equalizer: crossbow bolt.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 12:15:46 pm »

Xuspgas the Orc Master Lasher. Fought nine to one against my sword and axe champions, killed one, lost his eyes and throat, killed another, passed out, and lasted for a while on the ground, unconscious and bleeding, before the champions managed to hack him apart enough to kill him. Since it happened in my community fort, the story can be found here.

His skull was made into a masterwork skull totem, which was then unfortunately mixed in the with the rest of my trade goods and I'm not sure what happened to it. He will definitely live on as the ideal of Orcishness in my mind, though.

Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Worthy Adversary
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 12:57:56 pm »

Quote from: Taal
Neckbeard: If possible, Could I have the name of the Goblin, the name of his killer, the name of your fortress and the year please?

Sure.  His name was Amxu Olauksos, his killer was "Crusher" Sakzul Taronfikod Shasar Thokit, the fortress is called "Battlegreed the Grave of Thieves", and the year was 221.  Why do you ask?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 01:22:02 pm »

I never should have modded in "Jack-Hammer Bows". best in the hands of the agile, they deal the same damage type as hammers, and the ammo, "Bladed arrows", did slahs damage. sure, the ammo was 2:2 damage, and the bow had 3:5 damage, but giving them to the goblins was the biggest mistake. when an ambush of all legendary goblins with those bows showed up, they earned more then my respect. they earned my absolute awe.

when i took the bows away from their entity raws, i put it on a new race i made, with beliefs similar to the dwarves. so these 10 armed men were allies to the dwarves... mostly. aparently they didn't like what i did in one fort, so they sent no less then 10 ambushes at once, all with a local leader with those bows, made out of addimantine, no less.

in vanilla? sure, as an adventurer i was raiding the one kobold cave on the tiny world, when the dragon decided to ransack the same cave. i had snuck around all the kobolds exept one, trying a pacifist aproach to that cave. sure, i had legendary wresling and crossbow, as well as artifact addimantium armor, but the dragon was missing 3 of his legs, both eyes, one ear, and a couple not-so-nessesary organs. in otherwords, he was an epic. did you know a kobold farmer can kill a dragon with no injurys, and go on to use the corpse to decimate artifact adimantium platemail without a care?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 01:49:42 pm »

Previously.  On one of my ancient forts (SteelAge).  I had captured a Hyrda cheaply with some good ol' cage traps.  I didn't know what to do with it, so I chucked it in a pit I created just for it.  Then a goblin siege came.  I captured half and killed the other half.  What do I do with them?  Oi!  I'll throw them into the Hydra pit!  And that's what I did.  It worked marvously.  The goblins couldn't hurt the dang thing.  Maybe because they were dropped 4 z-levels, but whatever.  Anyway, that's it....WAIT!  The enemy that earned my respect came a few years later.  By now the Hydra has had many meals of gobbo flesh and I didn't think anything could stop it.  Until that blasted goblin thief came...he was caught and thrown into the hydra pit.  Along with 4 other goblins.  The four others were killed, but not the goblin thief!  Oh no!  Ofcourse the goblin theif won't get hurt.  Now, he didn't kill the hydra, but the hydra won't attacking him when they were in a 5x5 pit!  They must be best buddies, right?!  NOOOOooooooo........  They were in love!

THE END

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 04:39:57 pm »

No.
I'm a dwarf, and every enemy is clearly far below me.
Apart from HFS and Bronze Colossi.
That's not respect, just fear.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.