Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do these tags matter?  (Read 957 times)

Vessol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.armageddon.org
Do these tags matter?
« on: March 01, 2009, 05:28:33 pm »

Hello. I'm working on a desert-themed mod and was creating some new creatures when I read about the HOMEOTHERM tag and LAYERING.

Would it matter if I removed these and would it allow the creature to spawn in a desert world of my creation?

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Do these tags matter?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 09:32:10 pm »

I don't know.
Do it anyway and see what happens!  :D

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 12:32:35 am »

Ignore the above post.

I think [HOMEOTHERM] sets the body temperature of the creature. [LAYERING] protects against damage from the cold.

Look at some creatures that spawn in the desert, like camels and giant desert scorpions. I think what makes them spawn there is [BIOME:DESERT], and not what their core body temperature is and how much fat they have on their bones.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 03:08:35 am »

removing these tags reverts the creatures to default. In the case of layering, this just means they have no innate resistance to cold conditions [Layering = 0]. I have no idea what the default for homeotherm is, but it is probably average body temperature (or possibly absolute zero, for lulz).

if you want creatures to appear in hot deserts only, you need   

[BIOME:DESERT_BADLAND]
[BIOME:DESERT_ROCK]
[BIOME:DESERT_SAND]

Otherwise you may get them spawning in tundra.

Vessol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.armageddon.org
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 08:19:52 am »

Yeah I already knew about the biome spawning, I just didn't want to make a creature thats home is in the desert but can not inheritantly survive there. I'll take a look at existing desert animals, thanks.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 08:48:00 am »

Yeah, [HOMEOTHERM:?] is like setting the average body temperature, I know that its default is not absolute zero. [LAYERING:?] is like setting how much fur a creature has, it protects it from cold temperatures, but give it too much and it can't survive in hot ones.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.