Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to make obsidian magma-proof?  (Read 2019 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: How to make obsidian magma-proof?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 06:43:12 pm »

Oh right, conductivity.  Why didn't I think of that  :P

Yeah, that really hurts the feasibility of magma freezing instantly.  HOWEVER, being in water at absolute zero would increase the freezing rate because more kinetic energy could be offloaded onto water molecules with each particle collision.  Of course, water at 0 K would be frozen solid, but the magma wouldn't be and could still collide.  Water at 0 K would actually be totally still; there would be no particle vibration.  This is why we have not yet succeeded in creating these conditions.  Personally, I think the only way to reach absolute zero is to have a vacuum totally empty of mass or waves.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 03:18:19 am »

Yeah, that really hurts the feasibility of magma freezing instantly.  HOWEVER, being in water at absolute zero would increase the freezing rate because more kinetic energy could be offloaded onto water molecules with each particle collision.  Of course, water at 0 K would be frozen solid, but the magma wouldn't be and could still collide.  Water at 0 K would actually be totally still; there would be no particle vibration.  This is why we have not yet succeeded in creating these conditions.  Personally, I think the only way to reach absolute zero is to have a vacuum totally empty of mass or waves.

They have actually reached absolute zero using lasers. (well close enough at 100 pK (1×10−10K)).  That is less than millionth of a degree above 0K   
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 04:00:53 am »

So are we saying that the obsidian raws are bugged and we need to ask Toady to correct its freezing point in the next update? I notice the wiki temperature scale doesn't include any stone, and my for could definitely use another material to make magma proof mechanisms from!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 04:11:33 am by Faces of Mu »

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 05:19:36 am »

Obsidian can survive in magma ... sometimes. Melting temperature of obsidian is between 940 and 1080 degrees of Celsius and temperature of magma is between 700 and 1300 degrees. Therefore obsidian stones will suvive in some magma pools and will not in another ones.

I belive, that if obsidian is or is not magma proof is problem of preferences of player.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 09:05:34 am »

They have actually reached absolute zero using lasers. (well close enough at 100 pK (1×10−10K)).  That is less than millionth of a degree above 0K   
But then that's still some energy.  They haven't had an absolute absence of energy, which some people don't think is possibel
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 [2]