Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: infect/necromacy RTS  (Read 3473 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: infect/necromacy RTS
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2009, 12:54:51 pm »

Ha, I'd forgotten about Warrior Kings.  A game with skyhigh potential and absolutely dreadful realization.

Still though, with a little cheating to give you a leg up in regards to the truly abominable interface, it was great fun.  Sending a horde of barbarians in to torch your opponent's fields and slaughter the peasants, summoning great big pointy demons that would obliterate those who stood against them, and of course fielding massive armies in delightful formation.

And the gibbering horde works best with trees, I've found.  Find a nice little out-of-the-way forest somewhere, and tell them to eat one of the trees.  They will automatically spread to other trees when more are created, and the process just keeps going and going.  I remember doing that one time where I got called away to other matters and promptly forgot about them.  When I got back, there were so many of them that I was getting one frame per second.  It cleared up a bit when I told them to spread out and stop eating (took a while, since there were so many of them that had gone off to start eating fresh trees), and I found myself with a ridiculously huge number of the beasties.  Then it was simply a matter of telling them where to go.

Some great stuff in that game...  But it was handled so poorly that it was made almost impossible to play.  Real pity.

Can't believe I hadn't thought of DK2...  There's a true and fine example of using your enemy's troops against him.  Skeletons were great fun, and vampires were always welcome additions.  In fact, there's a mission in the campaign where you don't have normal access to troops, so you're FORCED to do things the undead way.  Quite a lot of fun, just sit around and snag any heroes who venture too close...

The original Dungeon Keeper also had stuff like that, plus ghosts.  Ghosts were the tormented (although they always seemed rather cheerful to me) spirits of people who died in the torture chamber.  This made it even more interesting, as you could just stick someone in the chamber and regardless of what happened, you'd be assured an addition to your forces.  Bullfrog was ace...
Pages: 1 2 [3]