Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do invalid dwarfs have children? Do resting dwarfs train social skills?  (Read 957 times)

Aaron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • aaron.acephalo.us

Recently I found myself forced to send wrestlers against crossgobs, because wrestlers were all I had available and it was either that or have my fortress overrun by a goblin ambush of a half-dozen. (Granted they were all champions and legendary wrestlers, but still, with only leather armor...) I've since improved my passive defenses, of course, but in repelling the filthy little creatures, one of my soldiers took a red wound to the lower spine. I gather from the wiki that this means she'll never walk again, so I've got her comfortably ensconced in her own bed; I have considered putting her out of her misery, but I'm not going to do that because she's married and has a lot of friends, and I don't want to risk a tantrum spiral.

What I'm curious about, though, is this: Does the wound to the lower spine (which has lately healed to yellow, btw) preclude the possibility of children? I've already had one two-year-old become a legendary stonecrafter as a result of a fey mood, and another child's leveled up to Master Grower just by having been around most of the time to harvest while the grown-ups were building something or digging somewhere -- children appear to be a valuable resource in the dwarf hamlet of Firewings, besides which it occurs to me that having a big family would give my poor injured soldier something to do, since she'll never again stir from her bed.

On the topic of giving Zefon something to do, it occurred to me to wonder: If I were to use Dwarf Manager to de-champion Zefon and make her a civilian again, and then moved her to a bed installed in my dining hall, would she train her social skills? I mean, she'll continue to have the Rest job for the rest of her life, I assume, and I'm not sure whether a resting dwarf can use social skills. Has anyone tried something like this? Does it work? If so, is it worth the effort? I'm not sure whether Consoler and Pacifier skills are trained in ordinary conversation, and even if they are, I'm not sure whether they do any good for anyone but the mayor.

Thanks!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Do invalid dwarfs have children? Do resting dwarfs train social skills?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 03:18:30 pm »

Does the wound to the lower spine (which has lately healed to yellow, btw) preclude the possibility of children?

Nop.