Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oblivion Question  (Read 1122 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oblivion Question
« on: February 21, 2009, 01:04:21 pm »

So I'm playing Oblivion, and I've got too many Alchemy Ingredients.  Long story short, I put everything in a chest (at the mages guild), saved it, and ran around for a while (about an hour).  Came back, and the stuff was there.  That's nice.

So I put all my ingredients in, and went questing.  I recently came back to get my stuff (actually, to add more) and it was all gone.  WTF...

Ok, all being pissed aside, it wasn't anything too important (buncha(3-4) Nirn Root, but what the hell).

Does anybody know a reliable way to store stuff other than carting it around in my inventory all the time?

Thanks,

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oblivion Question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 01:06:16 pm »

Oblivion wiki has a nice section about "safe chests".

You can always try to buy a cheap house somewhere, the storage in there is safe.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 01:18:48 pm »

Uh huh.  You wouldn't happen to be the arch mage, would you?  And this chest wouldn't happen to be the one conveniently placed next to your bed?  The one that will make a duplicate of any single ingredient you put in there, but will destroy everything if it's left in for too long?

If you isn't, and you didn't put all your stuff in the Magical Radioactive Happy Fun Chest of Nuking-Your-Stuff, then I don't know.  I thought Oblivion tracked all your stuff and made sure it wouldn't be destroyed by neutral junk placements, but I'm not sure.  Long time since I last played.

If not, and the chest was in a relatively public place, it might be that your stuff ended up getting overwritten by a natural junk spawn for that container, in order to make it seem more "used" (what kind of batshit crazy mage puts tongs, a broom and three rolls of yarn in a barrel?  How did he even get the broom IN there?).

In that case, I'd just have to tell you to get your own damn place to store junk.  There's a nice manor out West, can't remember the name of that coastal town...  Anyways, a guy will sell it to you for a too-good-to-be-true price.  Accept the price and stay the night.  It looks like hell, but after the quest you'll trigger by sleeping there it'll be fixed up and cozy.  It's actually my second favorite house, aside from Rose-whatsit manor in Gobbledegook (very long time since I played).

If you prefer, I think there may actually be a cheaper shack in that swamp-town down South.  It's way out of the way to be useful as a resting spot between most quests, but it's affordable and actually rather thematic.

EDIT:  Ninja'd, but I have a superior amount of words in my post.  HAH!

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 01:21:31 pm »

Btw, afaik, chests that are accessible to the public (like the chest with equipment for travellers in the guilds) get their stuff taken out once in a while. It's kind of random, but the player is not the only stealing bastard in the world.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 01:50:59 pm »

i advise alchemizing everything you can

don't save stuff unless you already know you want to use it in the future, for something you can't already

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 02:01:24 pm »

But you unlock different abilities from the alchemical ingredients you have if you gain a higher skill before using them.  And for unique items you can't get ever again (painted troll fat, for instance) or stuff that's just damn rare and/or hard to get, you want to make sure you're getting the best possible use of what you've got.

This is just the excuse, of course.  There's really no good reason to be packratting all the brewable junk you come across, it's just habit.  About half my inventory weight was made up of hundreds of alchemical ingredients I would never use because I could get the effects just as easily through spells, didn't need the extra cash from selling potions, and couldnt bring myself to throw away because "you never know".

The other half was made up of armor and weapons which "I might use", but that I never did.  All my equipment was made up of bugged summons which didn't weight so much as a carrot.

I then enchanted all my summoned armor with strength boosts so that I could carry the other junk.

Brilliant system.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 02:22:49 pm »

I'm a terrible packrat in Oblivion. That's why I always modify my carryweight to some stupidly high number. In Morrowind, I literally filled up at least two rather large house mods with arms, armor, potions, and jewelry.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 02:40:51 pm »

If you're running on PC, there are a good deal of mods to give you easy-access storage. Right now I'm using the Midas Magic mod's summonable chest. Fairly cheap, but on the other hand, I've got MMMod and Mighty Magick making it so that I'll die in four shots and all my encounters come in groups too large to count on one hand. Thinking of making a legion of companions to lead into battle... If I could just reduce the casualties.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 05:33:11 pm »

Oblivion wiki has a nice section about "safe chests".

You can always try to buy a cheap house somewhere, the storage in there is safe.

Can you post a link?  (I'll probably find it before then, but you never know, plus other people and all)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile