Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's the word on interface improvements?  (Read 563 times)

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
What's the word on interface improvements?
« on: February 20, 2009, 11:09:01 am »

On the Future of the Fortress page, interface improvements aren't listed, as they'll be "happening throughout the entire process." Fair enough, but that makes it hard to tell what kind of priority they're being given. Any word on that? Can I at least express the wish that they get priority over additional content?

Dwarf Fortress is a superb game, but the interface makes it difficult for people to discover that. I don't mind keyboard commands, but some menus use the arrow keys to move up and down, while others use + and -,... and I swear I NEVER pick the right one! It's really frustrating. After playing awhile, I can learn the complicated menu system, but I'm always reaching for the wrong movement keys, it seems.

And I have to get completely out of one menu, and into another one, in order to "see" something on the screen, then back into the other menu again to do something about it. In a game with ASCII graphics, this is particularly annoying. And, of course, it's not easy to pick the correct menu for a particular action, either - certainly not for beginners or casual players. It would really help to streamline the menu choices, and allow us to do multiple things from the same menu.

Finally (and these are just examples, not a comprehensive list), I can go to the unit menu, scroll down to a character, and make a change in his job assignments, but I end up completely out of all menus. In order to do the same thing to another character - and the one after that, and the one after that - I have to do everything all over again. It's almost painful. If we could make a change, then find ourselves back at the unit menu at the same character (so we could simply move to the next one), that would be a huge improvement.

As I say, this is a great game, but I'm worried that most people won't put up with such things. I would strongly urge an emphasis on improving the interface over adding new content, if not in the current revision, then certainly in the next one. I think it's that important.

Maybe that is already being done, but I can't tell, since interface improvements aren't specifically listed anywhere (as far as I can see).

Bill

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: What's the word on interface improvements?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 12:08:02 pm »

The following screens are likely to be significantly or completely reworked for the next version: military, squad, creature, noble, and probably others.  Even if Toady isn't explicitly aiming to upgrade them interface-wise, the interfaces he's written recently tend much better designed (like the Relationships screen).  So there should be some improvement, although an overhaul that would address pervasive issues like the I-zoomed-to-a-unit-and-lost-my-place thing is probably further off.

If you want "the word," here's what Toady said most recently (I think) about Presentation Arc stuff.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 07:07:43 pm »

Thanks for the link. I didn't realize the game needed to be "nailed down" before introducing interface improvements. Well, of course, I know nothing about developing games. (I have enough trouble just playing them!)

And Toady doesn't seem interested in attracting new players, unless donations slack off. I imagine he'd prefer to wait until the game is completed. I can understand that.

Personally, I don't mind the ASCII graphics much (though, of course, I'd still prefer some kind of minimal graphics). It's the interface that can be frustrating. Still, the game is worth it. I'll try to be patient until Toady is done.   :)

Thanks again.....

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 11:07:19 pm »

Friend, we got just what you're looking for, or something like it:
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Tileset

It makes sense when you think about it. There's no reason to polish up the way Strength, Agility and Toughness are displayed, since those attributes are going to be replaced with different ones.

This applies to pretty much everything you can display. Why make a new system to display a thing you're not going to use, when you already had to make  one? That time would be better spent implementing the better version, so you can start making a better display system for that.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.