Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jets'n'Guns  (Read 674 times)

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Jets'n'Guns
« on: February 19, 2009, 12:53:02 pm »

Anyone ever played Jets'n'Guns?

I just have finished another playthrough. Basically it's an indie side scrolling shoot 'em up, not free unfortunately, a couple of years old already, quite fun, a lot of weapons, silly humor, cool music, and some replay value, so I guess I'd recommend it (there's also a demo).

Note that especially with the extension pack (JnG Gold), the balancing seems to be off sometimes, and 'normal' difficulty can be quite challenging in some levels. But doable. Just to warn you.

The Moonlit Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jets'n'Guns
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 09:18:05 pm »

I managed to pick it up on the one day it was the Free Game of the Day on some indie game site or another; I forget, but I found the link on TIGSource. I remembered playing it a while before that and liking it and so hastened to grab a free copy.

It wasn't bad, definitely one of the more enjoyable side-scrolling shoot-'em-ups I've played, but after a while it started to seem kinda stale; probably the moment I had ridiculous amounts of weaponry that reduced most enemies to dust in half a second, including old bosses. I wouldn't pay to buy a copy now, but that's not to say it wasn't pretty fun for the first playthrough. Lots of mindless explosions and death and it does it with style.
A man once said to me, "If you want superpowers, all you have to do is take acid and you'll have any superpower you want." He then asked if I had just, at that moment, shaved half my face; I revealed that as being my superpower. Being suddenly and inexplicably half-shaven.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jets'n'Guns
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 06:37:38 am »

Yeah once you finish a playthrough, you start over on the next difficulty level, but keep your ship from before. Which makes it ridiculously easy for quite a while until the difficulty catches up  (probably stays easy forever though). Though I have to say, personally I quite enjoyed that overkill feeling after a challenging first playthrough.

I guess for me the replay value came simply from playing the vanilla game a couple of times, then playing it again when the expansion came out, and now I played it again because at some point they released a patch that would add a proper ending. You wouldn't have those reasons to play it again if you were to start with the current version...