Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Toady; Weapon Types/Shape/Size vs New Wounds?  (Read 2501 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Toady; Weapon Types/Shape/Size vs New Wounds?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 07:19:29 pm »

Ok i have to admit that i mixed it up. The crossbow did shot first with a arrow then with a bolt and last with a ball. This is cause a Arrow would break at the forces which a crossbow can use. I made a failure and i hope you can forgive me that.

For Footkerchief 2 quoteable sources:

Quote from: wikipedia(german)
Durch geeignete Konstruktion kann die Armbrust erheblich mehr Energie speichern und auf ein Projektil übertragen, als es einem Bogenschützen durch bloße Armkraft möglich wäre. Deshalb werden keine langen, elastischen Pfeile verschossen, die unter den auftretenden Beschleunigungskräften zerbrechen würden, sondern kurze, steife Bolzen oder seltener, Ton- oder Steinkugeln zu Jagd- und Sportzwecken (mit einem kleinen Korb als Projektilaufnahme)

Translation

"Through appropriate design, the crossbow could store and transmit  significantly more energy on a projetil then a Bowman could by sheer strenght. Because of this long eleastic arrows werent used, they would shatter under the acceleration-forces - therefore short stiff Bolts or less commonly Clay or stone-balls for hunting purpose were used."

Quote from here

Als Geschoß diente zunächst noch der Pfeil, später der Bolzen und zuletzt auch die Kugel. Es hat in den verschiedenen Zeiten und Ländern vielerlei Armbrustarten gegeben. Die Forschung spricht von vorchristlicher, römischer, vorromanischer und romanischer Armbrust. Von der Gotik bis zum Barock wurden neue Konstruktionsarten entwickelt, so z.B. in der Gotik die mitteleuropäische Armbrust mit Zahnstangenwinde und die westeuropäische mit Seilwinde, in der Renaissance eine Jagdarmbrust, die von 1500 bis 1650 das Jagdwesen bestimmte, sowie die "Schnepper“ der Renaissance und des Barock mit einem Spannhebel. Danach wurden noch die "Kugelschnepper'' konstruiert, mit denen man Kugeln aus gebranntem Ton, Marmor oder Blei verschießen konnte, die noch auf 250 Schritt einen Brustpanzer durchschlugen.

Translation

"As projectil served the arrow, later the bolt and at last the ball. In different Times and countrys there different kinds of crossbows.
The researchers speak of pre-Christian, Roman, pre-Romanesque  and Romanesque crossbows. From Gothic to Baroque new designs were developed f.e. in the time of Gothic the middle-european rack-winch- and the west european rope-winch- crossbows. In the Renaissance a hunting crossbow was invented that from 1500 to 1650 ruled as main hunting weapon, as well as the "Schnepper" wich got a clamping lever inBaroque. After this the ball-"Schnepper" was constructed that with balls from clay, marble or lead could go throught a platearmor on 250 "Schritt". "

"Schritt" = 071 - 0,75 Meters.
250 "Schritt" are 177,5 to 187,5 meters.

Schritt is spoken like Shit with a additional a bit rolling r.
Schnepper is spoken like "Snap-per" with a slightly shortened a.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 08:05:03 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009, 08:04:47 pm »

People are forgetting that a heavier object will be shot with less speed, and speed is a huge factor in determining kinetic energy to begin with.

There is some potential energy stored in the flexed material of the bow, which is imparted to the projectile when the crossbow is fired, and then imparted to the target when it is hit. In physics-land (no friction, gravity, etc.), the total energy delivered would be exactly the same. What you really care about is how small an area you can deliver that force to, and how much force you can put on your bolt when you fire it before it breaks.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 08:20:42 pm »

Ok i have to admit that i mixed it up. The crossbow did shot first with a arrow then with a bolt and last with a ball. This is cause a Arrow would break at the forces which a crossbow can use. I made a failure and i hope you can forgive me that.

No worries.  Thanks for the translations!  I'm going to have to read more about these ball-throwing hunting crossbows.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2009, 04:28:18 am »

No worries.  Thanks for the translations!  I'm going to have to read more about these ball-throwing hunting crossbows.

And I'm going to have to build one. This sidesteps all of the nastiness of homemade bolt-throwing bows and all that fletching nonsense trying to make bolts for them.

If there is ever a revolution, I'll be the stupid geek hurling marbles from the bushes, and then bleeding all over those bushes when I get shot dozens of times.
Pages: 1 2 [3]