Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wanted to say Hi and Thanks!  (Read 514 times)

miskatcitnamor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Wanted to say Hi and Thanks!
« on: February 24, 2009, 05:56:53 am »

So I downloaded Dwarf Fortress about a year or so ago and just couldn't get into it, try as I might.  I honestly had issues figuring out how to take apart my wagon and set up stockpiles.  :P

Someone on 4chan mentioned Captnducks videos which led me to watching them for a half hour or so before reinstalling DF.  :)

Next thing I know I'd been playing it for a full 4 hours straight, frantically trying to juggle 15 Dwarves trying to complete a seemingly endless task-list....

And what's awesome is that my girlfriend got all into it too.  I'm thinking about doing a succession game with her where we just pass it back and forth.

At any rate, I just wanted to thank Toady for an infinitely entertaining game and for getting my girlfriend into a game other than WoW.  :P

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted to say Hi and Thanks!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 06:19:39 am »

Well, welcome to the forums!  Glad to hear about your girlfriend, too.

(edit to answer question below)  I don't (mostly because all my graph paper mysteriously disappeared), but I DO draw out rough plans for my fortresses in advance.

Workshop efficiency is actually one of my weak points.  Ideally, one would take advantage of the fact that z-levels don't count as distance to dwarves at the moment (it takes less effort and time for a dwarf to carry a stone block up fifty stories of stairs than it does for him to carry a block five spaces horizontally), but I nearly always have my stockpiles at least a half-dozen spaces away from my workshops.  It works okay for me, but there's a lot of people here with more efficient setups.

http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Design_strategies#Workshop_Logistics

If you haven't read this page yet, you'll find some interesting stuff in it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 07:24:54 am by Bromor Neckbeard »

miskatcitnamor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 06:25:59 am »

As a question to go with my greeting: does anyone else every break out graphing paper and grid out plans on how to increase worker efficiency when placing stockpiles and workshops?  I'm getting frustratingly obsessed with that.  Also: obsessed with keeping Idle dwarves to a minimum, which seems nigh impossible.  :(

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 08:55:11 am »

Well it looks like that you are a perfectionist.  :D
Welcome to the forums!  :)

Weq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 10:14:06 am »

To be honest, I am currently designing a fortress on graphpaper and I havn't even embarked on a new map yet. All the old fortresses are just staging grounds for the 'Dwarftopia' that will be built.