Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civs use which metal?  (Read 590 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Civs use which metal?
« on: February 18, 2009, 04:04:23 pm »

So, I've been wondering, what determines the type of metal a civ will use? Why do the dwarves show up at my depot carrying steel, but the humans bring iron? Why do most goblins siege me wearing iron but the leaders wear decorated steel?

I'm trying to make an 'orc steel' that orcs will use but nobody else will.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Civs use which metal?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 04:34:31 pm »

The dwarven civ has the [METALPREF] tag, which makes them use the best metal with a damage value higher than iron.  Elves have some wood related tag that makes them not use metal.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 06:45:39 pm »

Civilizations with [METAL_PREF] will use the "best" non-deep weapon-quality metal for their weapons and armor. In vanilla DF, steel. Dwarves have this.

Civs without that  (humans and goblins) tag will use the second-best (I think), which is generally iron (except for elves, which are hippycrites and make them out of wood due to a tag I can't recall).

Civs with [MINOR_METAL] use the weakest weapon-quality metal. In vanilla DF, kobolds use copper.

Random guess, maybe military leaders always use the best metal?

All weapons, armor, and ammo bought at embark or from whatever civ's caravan will be that specified metal, although ranged weapons can be bought of any material (seeing as it's the bolts that are doing the damage). Obviously, you can make your own stuff out of whatever the hell you want to (within reason).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 06:52:12 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 07:00:12 pm »

Forcing civs to use specific materials is not possible (yet), unless you rewrite the civs so that only your orcs will use better metals like dwarfs (and leave our fun dwarfs with only silly iron).
WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 08:29:48 pm »

All weapons, armor, and ammo bought at embark or from whatever civ's caravan will be that specified metal, although ranged weapons can be bought of any material (seeing as it's the bolts that are doing the damage).
Digging implements can also be made out of other metals.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 09:43:23 pm »

Ah, right, forgot about those.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 09:44:59 pm »

Well, I guess I learned what I needed to know. Thanks everyone  ;D

(even if it does mean I can't make orc steel without dwarves using it, or downgrading to iron. Oh well, small loss)
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!