Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Economy - Turning it off after Baron has arrived?  (Read 1071 times)

Henrietta

• Bay Watcher
  • watery mouth lambs
    • View Profile
Dwarven Economy - Turning it off after Baron has arrived?
« on: February 18, 2009, 07:18:30 am »

My Baron just arrived at my fortress with a consort, a tax collecter, and a hammerer. After checking the wiki I decided I would prefer to leave the economy off by changing the init.txt settings to:

[ECONOMY:NO]
[ZERO_RENT:YES]

But after reloading my game the economy still seems to be on, rooms have the 'rent this room' option etc (though it is for 0 credits). Do I just have to wait a bit for my non-noble Dwarves to earn 1 credit so they can continue staying in their lavish rooms? I kicked one out to make room for the Baron and then couldnt give her the identical, empty, nice room next to it. Only the legendary Dwarves and Champions were allowed in the 'assign room' bit.

Once the economy is on can it be fully disabled or will I have to load an old save?

Thanks!

Henrietta

• Bay Watcher
  • watery mouth lambs
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Economy - Turning it off after Baron has arrived?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 07:24:12 am »

Oh, also if I just throw the Baron and the Tax collector and such into a drowning death pit will that change it back or will the economy be on regardless?

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 07:38:01 am »

Once it's on, it's on forever
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 10:39:54 am »

AFAIK, you will have to generate a new world in order for those changes to take effect.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 10:58:03 am »

so how do you turn economy off BEFORE The baron shows up??
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 11:05:25 am »

$Dwarfhomedirectory\data\init\init.txt

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 11:07:10 am »

AFAIK, you will have to generate a new world in order for those changes to take effect.

AFAIK disabling the economy works at any time befor it's actually enabled, you just have to exit the game and restart. After which you can use Zero_Rent to minimise the effects if you decide it's too much trouble.

Also, don't mint gold, silver, or copper coins. They'll just make a mess and waste dwarf-hours.

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 12:49:47 pm »

Also, don't mint gold, silver, or copper coins. They'll just make a mess and waste dwarf-hours.
I thought it would be nice to mint some coins, as they often have dwarven history on them, and then forbid them when the economy kicks in. It seems that possession overrides forbidding, as I still have coins strewn everywhere.

Holdwound was my previous fort  :'(

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 01:20:06 pm »

Hello!

Actually, I was hoping I could attract the economy by minting coins without having the necessary population - unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work.

But you are right about the coins. Since I started, I have been minting gold, silver, copper, platinum, and electrum coins each year. Besides common motives (like the civ emblem), I was also positively surprised that they also showed the previous civ leaders with their ascension dates (somethings engravings in the fortress and decorations have not done for me). Thus, I keep this tradition up. It will be fun to see the economy start (after I have dug out the new room for the coins as the old stockpile is getting a bit crowded by now).

Deathworks

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 02:30:09 pm »

You can still mint coins, just not of copper, silver, or gold, if you want to avoid the mess. In my current fort I meet Mint Coins mandates with iron coins - it's dwarfy, and I happen to have a ton of it. Also 1/1 production mandates for non-currency metals.

greggbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 03:25:33 pm »

Confirmed, you cannot turn it off afterward.  I regenerated a new world, but maybe just starting a new fortress woudl have done it.  I cannot confirm that. 
ou have struck Mica!  Now Niki''s gonna kill you!