Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pondering about Ideas for Megabeasts  (Read 943 times)

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pondering about Ideas for Megabeasts
« on: February 18, 2009, 05:19:41 pm »

I was thinking about potential megabeasts I could mod into dwarf fortress when something when something dawned on me.  Most of the time megabeast encounters are not unique becuase although they may have different names and may be missing different limbs there is only four types of megabeast you can encounter.  Well thinking about this some more I figure that there is only  set amount of megabeasts that can spawn even in the biggest of maps and megabeast are only placed at world gen.  So what I and wondering is that is it possible to overload the game with so many types of different megabeast that each megabeast is always the last of its kind?  There are many factors that can affect this such as how worldgen picks which megabeast to spawn.  Does it try to do them equaly so that there is an equal amount of each megabeast out, if so what would happen if there are more megabeast types in raw then megabeast allow in the world.  Will it randomly select the megabeasts or will it just pick the first megabeasts listed and ignore all extras.  Also if the mega beasts are randomly picked does that mean the the world gen might spawn a megabeast twice even though there are megabeast types that haven't been spawned yet.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Pondering about Ideas for Megabeasts
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 06:45:52 pm »

Next Version™ is going to have much better handling of megabeasts due to the anatomy redux, which will allow them to be both much tougher and much more varied.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pondering about Ideas for Megabeasts
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 11:07:51 pm »

I was thinking about potential megabeasts I could mod into dwarf fortress when something when something dawned on me.  Most of the time megabeast encounters are not unique becuase although they may have different names and may be missing different limbs there is only four types of megabeast you can encounter.  Well thinking about this some more I figure that there is only  set amount of megabeasts that can spawn even in the biggest of maps and megabeast are only placed at world gen.  So what I and wondering is that is it possible to overload the game with so many types of different megabeast that each megabeast is always the last of its kind?  There are many factors that can affect this such as how worldgen picks which megabeast to spawn.  Does it try to do them equaly so that there is an equal amount of each megabeast out, if so what would happen if there are more megabeast types in raw then megabeast allow in the world.  Will it randomly select the megabeasts or will it just pick the first megabeasts listed and ignore all extras.  Also if the mega beasts are randomly picked does that mean the the world gen might spawn a megabeast twice even though there are megabeast types that haven't been spawned yet.

I think it does spread them out equally among all the available megabeasts.

However, I'm not sure if that means there are 100 megabeasts divided by the different types, or automatically X of every type.