Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Naming Point  (Read 705 times)

Fensfield

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Naming Point
« on: February 17, 2009, 08:33:53 pm »

Well, just a thought I had, after moving to a new map and discovering the landscape allowed for some really somewhat awesome defensive strategies.. which I would probably have named it after had I known beforehand.

Why not shift naming the fortress forward to a moment after you embark?  Oh keep group naming where it is, that's for when you set out, but really, just how many settlements are named prior to the arrival of their founders?

Moving the point at which you name your fortress forward, to after you've had your first glimpse of the area you'll be playing in at gameplay level, would allow for circumstance to have an affect of players' choice on name and all, right?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:48:10 pm by Fensfield »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Naming Point
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 08:40:45 pm »

I like this idea a LOT.  Although I might go a step further and postpone the naming until something noteworthy has happened, like the discovery of a site feature, or striking a vein of valuable mineral, or the appearance of interesting wildlife or enemies.  Then the dwarves could come up with a cool name on their own.  (as could the player, but it's cuter when the dwarves do it themselves)

Or perhaps the fortress could get its main name at embark and an extended name (like killers do) later.  Lots of ways this could go, and various civs might have different conventions for when a settlement should be named (as opposed to just what it should be named, which we do have now).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:42:19 pm by Footkerchief »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 08:42:14 pm »

I like this idea. I have a lot of maps that I'd have named differently after I actually got things settled and running.

Hmm...maybe have the game prompt you for a name the first time the Liason shows up? Assuming you haven't already named it, of course.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 08:52:10 pm »

if not when the liason shows up (which would make sense) then at least at the first migrant wave or season change.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 08:57:42 pm »

Perhaps the ability to change the name?
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 08:59:38 pm »

Well a place could get "nicknames" like people for different stuff.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Fensfield

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 09:04:14 pm »

'Not sure about name changing, for my part.. a bit of leeway in the decision makes sense, but doesn't making the name changeable undermine somewhat its value?

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 09:14:44 pm »

Well, perhaps.  I mainly figured it would allow people to pick a permanent name at any point they chose.  Also, especially significant events might sometimes merit a name modification.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 09:42:00 pm »

Have the liason ask when he first arrives; "So, what do you call this place?"

Circumstantial auto-naming is a looong ways off.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 11:35:57 pm »

I don't know about that.  There's already some semblance of circumstantial naming for events that occur during worldgen and fortress mode -- "The Fourth Attempted Theft at [Place Name]" and so forth.  It wouldn't be hard to, for instance, associate biomes with the existing word symbol groups, and then maybe throw in creature names as well -- producing names like "The Grove of Dead Goblins" or something.  Not the best example, but hopefully you get the idea.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 12:15:30 am »

I don't know about that.  There's already some semblance of circumstantial naming for events that occur during worldgen and fortress mode -- "The Fourth Attempted Theft at [Place Name]" and so forth.  It wouldn't be hard to, for instance, associate biomes with the existing word symbol groups, and then maybe throw in creature names as well -- producing names like "The Grove of Dead Goblins" or something.  Not the best example, but hopefully you get the idea.

The naming for The Fourth Attempted Theft At [Place Name] is not circumstantial; it follows a strict formula based on a small set of circumstances.

The [number] [event] at [place name].

Where the only "circumstantial" variable is the [event], which right now is limited to Attempted Theft, Attempted Kidnapping, Siege or Ambush.

Circumstantial naming would be drawing from biomes, biology, geology, and events - which is tremendously wide.

In any event, it's not exactly a priority right now. Delayed site naming sounds like a good plan, though.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 03:41:55 am »

One of the most infamous features of DF is the random names it comes up with for things. In my opinion, no name choosing should be allowed at all!

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 07:10:05 am »

Names should be based on the place (Shallowbrook, Springfield, Sandyplain) or the founding group's mission (King's Tower, New Haven, Urist's Refuge) more often, if not always. It should be able to get nicknames or alternatives too (due to events or general trends in production or building, eg. The Fall of Tarezereses the Titan, the Wells of Pewter, the City of Spires), most of which wouldn't be all that memorable or well-known. As the player, you could have an option to try to make one of these names the common name of your fortress. Succes would depend on exporting lots of goods with that name on it, hiring bards etc.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 01:50:36 pm »

As a big fan of the potential oregon trail mode, I see the naming done EARLIER.  I.E. when the adventurer gets to the spot and plants the flag.  That way he's creating a group of settlers to go TO a place.