Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Human Fortress: How to get screw pumps?  (Read 1167 times)

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Human Fortress: How to get screw pumps?
« on: February 14, 2009, 07:23:26 am »

As a fun experiment, I modded Humans to be playable in Fortress Mode and settled them in a coastal (saltwater) area, thinking I'd be able to create a drinkable reservoir by sending water through a screw pump. Too bad it turned out that humans couldn't build any trap components! At first I tried messing around with the raws, but apparently that doesn't work with active games, or maybe I'm just stupid.

My next plan was to order an enormous corkscrew from the next Dwarven caravan. That didn't work out either, since they didn't have any trap components for sale. They DID have a suspicious amount of supersized weapons, unfit for Dwarven handling but perfectly usable by Humans. I guess the game currently treats every 'Dwarven' civilization as 'your' civilization, since in unmodded games the two are indeed the same.

With my options exhausted, I turn to you. How do I obtain enourmous corkscrews for my pumping scheme? Is there a utility that can cheat them into existence? Anything??

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Human Fortress: How to get screw pumps?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 07:57:18 am »

Code: [Select]
[TRAPCOMP:ITEM_TRAPCOMP_ENORMOUSCORKSCREW] In entity default?

If that doesn't work, then you would have to wait for traders to provide you with the required pumps. If that doesn't work, just make a reaction. I'm unsure how to do that exactly, but i remember it is possible to make reactions for every object to be made at no quality.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 08:56:06 am »

Code: [Select]
[TRAPCOMP:ITEM_TRAPCOMP_ENORMOUSCORKSCREW] In entity default?

If that doesn't work, then you would have to wait for traders to provide you with the required pumps. If that doesn't work, just make a reaction. I'm unsure how to do that exactly, but i remember it is possible to make reactions for every object to be made at no quality.

Uh, the first two options not working is pretty much what this thread is about.

I guess I could try the reaction method, but as raw file manipulation didn't seem to have any effect on my ongoing game, I don't have high hopes for that. Damn.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 09:00:00 am »

If I remember rightly, it is believed that the ENtity Raws are onbe of the things that cannot be changed effectively midgame. you can alter existing creatures/reactions but not entities.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 01:27:14 pm »

:P
I bet you all that Yanlin will come. And when he does...
...Ohoho.....

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 01:50:32 pm »

:P
I bet you all that Yanlin will come. And when he does...
...Ohoho.....
Whatever happened to the times when people actually stayed on topic?
...Seriously.  This isn't - or any of the threads in Various Nonsense.  Nonsense only belongs there, not here.

I could swear that adding that trapcomp line to the entity is one of the few things that actually does work in the entity raws without generating a new world...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Himmelhand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 04:33:34 pm »

I previously had a thread on this exact topic, let me go find it..

And here it is:

[REACTION:CORKSCREW]
[NAME:forge iron corkscrew]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TRAPCOMP:ITEM_TRAPCOMP_ENORMOUSCORKSCREW:METAL:IRON]
[FUEL]

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 04:36:54 pm by Himmelhand »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 04:37:04 pm »

Reaction method will work.

Himmelhand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 05:14:39 pm »

Yes, note that for a preexisting fortress, you have to edit one of the current reactions with the contents of that one.  If you add a new reaction, it will not work unless you generate a new world.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 06:10:25 pm »

Yes, note that for a preexisting fortress, you have to edit one of the current reactions with the contents of that one.  If you add a new reaction, it will not work unless you generate a new world.
And if you are playing Humans, Adamantine isn't a terribly large priority.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 11:22:54 am »

I previously had a thread on this exact topic, let me go find it..

And here it is:

[REACTION:CORKSCREW]
[SMELTER]
[FUEL]
And if you are playing Humans, Adamantine isn't a terribly large priority.
That's not going to be too terribly confusing for him at all...

[REACTION:ADAMANTINE_WAFERS]
[SMELTER]
[FUEL]

If you change the [REACTION:x] line, it counts it as a new reaction and the other reaction being removed, both of which require a new world, which you don't want.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 02:39:12 pm »

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! Unfortunately, fate has decided to throw a wrench in my plans for a Human settlement on a distant island: first, I find out that the Dwarven civilization on that land mass will send immigrants to my city (it's even displayed as 'Human' in the list), ruining my whole 'the first seven and their descendants' game concept; then, as the proverbial cherry to top off my shit cake, a frozen pond melts under the feet of my trader/bookkeeper/leader, trapping and drowning him at the very end of the year (the autosave being from the beginning of that year).

tl;dr: FOR SOME REASON, I don't really feel very much like playing Dwarf Fortress at the moment! But I'll try that reaction out when I calm down a little!