Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Drinking Problem  (Read 1269 times)

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Drinking Problem
« on: February 12, 2009, 10:09:18 am »

Catchy title, huh?

Anyway, here's my problem: I created an activity zone for drinking. It's over a nice, clean brook, so the water isn't contaminated or murky. It's over the area of the brook closest to the entrance of my fort, which is therefore pretty safe. I turned on zone-only drinking.

SO WHY DO MY FUCKING DWARVES GO OVER TO THE NORTH SIDE OF THE MAP TO DRINK WHERE THE FUCKING SKELETAL MOUNTAIN GOATS ARE?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Drinking Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 10:11:44 am »

Go back to the zone and make sure that next to "Water source" it says "(x)" where x is a positive number.

I know you've probably already done this, but if it says something like "Water source (0)" that means none of the tiles are actually a valid water source.

And double-check to make sure they can path there. :P

Also, I'm not positive that dwarves like drinking from brooks... they might consider it the same as "stagnant" water. I'm not sure.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

manored

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven god of pointless violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 10:35:06 am »

If you build a well above the brook the will probally like it more.
In the beggining, there were the dwarves

Twad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 01:33:57 pm »

i have the exact same problem right ..NOW

Many of my dwarves keep getting out of my fort to drink water from the brook, far away and easy targets for goblins.. but i have about ~120 units of booze AND many working ''watersource'' at the same brook but safe inside my fortress.. it usually works.. but now, i just dont get it, they never did this before.

Maybe all the kegs are in use by other drinkers.. my current farming/brewing operation works badly cuz  im hunting my farmers to remove all their useless tasks. And  yet they just ignore my water sources.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 05:20:26 pm »

try channeling out a tile or two of the brook? i'm not sure exactly how it works but the top 'brook' tiles seem like floors rather than actual water

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 06:15:39 pm »

The stuff in the zone says "Water source (121), so it's a valid water source. And they had no problem drinking there just a while ago.

In the end, I solved it by quickly making a well over the brook, then finishing the work for a well inside the fortress (which almost went badly, because I put the lever controlling the floodgate closing off the brook from the well's reservoir too far and the water spilled out around the well). I hope that they'll use that now until I can get a brewing operation up. Something stole all of my rock nuts just after embarking, so I'm still straining to simply make enough food for everyone.

On an unrelated note, is it only me or are zombie trolls really weak? My mechanic/novice marksdwarf managed to take one out with wooden bolts from a copper crossbow when it was lurking around my entrance.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 08:05:00 pm »

you need to place the zone NEXT to water for them to drink, not over it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 09:15:48 pm »

I'm actually fairly sure that it needs to be BOTH, for it to work.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 06:51:30 am »

you need to place the zone NEXT to water for them to drink, not over it.
Even with brooks, which they can walk on?

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 02:41:54 pm »

i have the exact same problem right ..NOW

Many of my dwarves keep getting out of my fort to drink water from the brook, far away and easy targets for goblins.. but i have about ~120 units of booze AND many working ''watersource'' at the same brook but safe inside my fortress.. it usually works.. but now, i just dont get it, they never did this before.

Maybe all the kegs are in use by other drinkers.. my current farming/brewing operation works badly cuz  im hunting my farmers to remove all their useless tasks. And  yet they just ignore my water sources.
That'll do it.  Each barrel holds a LOT of booze.  In theory, it's possible to get 55 booze into a single barrel.  That ain't gonna happen in practice, but I'd be surprised if you had even a dozen kegs.

Brew more booze, and your dwarves will stop going for water ;)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 02:44:07 pm by LegacyCWAL »
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

manored

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven god of pointless violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 12:11:48 pm »

Yeah, I have noticed that whenever my dwarves go for my well there isnt much booze left (or none) so maybe you have less than what you think its enough.
In the beggining, there were the dwarves

Twad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 02:32:27 pm »

after some more playing, its still coming up (lot less often but still a problem).. and i have more than  600 units of booze now and steadily increasing.

That makes me wonder; to make a good "water source" activity zone, do we have to cover it with the zone or just put it next to it? Didnt see a definitive answer on it..
Do we have to dig the surface of the water (in brooks) to make a good external water source (its so stupid to "dig" in surface water anyway.. the top layer count like solid ground!)

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 08:58:27 am »

My stupid dwarves are doing the exact same thing.  Maybe they want to enjoy a crafty smoke break away from the others.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 09:42:57 am »

_   _
 |_|

Mark evrything, meaning the titles next to it as well.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 12:10:07 pm »

after some more playing, its still coming up (lot less often but still a problem).. and i have more than  600 units of booze now and steadily increasing.

That makes me wonder; to make a good "water source" activity zone, do we have to cover it with the zone or just put it next to it? Didnt see a definitive answer on it..
Do we have to dig the surface of the water (in brooks) to make a good external water source (its so stupid to "dig" in surface water anyway.. the top layer count like solid ground!)

try setting "zone drinking only" in Orders.