Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weather  (Read 732 times)

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weather
« on: February 18, 2009, 05:37:30 am »

Simple question because I couldn't find it at a glance: Will more severe weather/other natural events be implemented, i.e. lightning storms, tornados, hurricanes, blizzards, earthquakes, floods, droughts etc? How far down the line?
lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
Re: Weather
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 07:15:58 am »

Speaking of this . . . variable winds over time?  Maybe increase the power to windmills built higher above the surrounding terrain?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 09:07:59 am »

There's a dev item that mentions this under Long-Term Arcs: http://bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_future.html

# TERRAIN/WEATHER/SWIMMING/FLYING/BOATS: [...] Track hurricanes and other major storm/disasters, in-game and during world gen. Thunderstorms with lightning strikes (with corresponding lighting effects) and hail. Levels of rainfall. Eating snow, making snowballs and picking up hail during and after hail storms. Tornados with wind flows that push items, projectiles and creatures. [...]

Long-Term Arcs means it probably won't happen anytime soon, though.  Like not in the next 6+ years.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 01:49:10 pm »

Or whenever Toady gets super excited about the idea and just decides to stick it in the a release cycle. *shrug*

Cool subject, though. I'd be neat to see a tornado come through and pick up a bunch of invaders and send them flying while your dwarves sit safely underground.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 05:17:06 pm »

Or watch the border between your cave and the outside become a giant membrane, and pound your dwarves eardrums into pulp.  (open a car window doing 80 down the highway. The less aerodynamic, the better.)
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 03:00:28 am »

Or watch the border between your cave and the outside become a giant membrane, and pound your dwarves eardrums into pulp.  (open a car window doing 80 down the highway. The less aerodynamic, the better.)

In the Chrysler Sebring Touring editions manual. they refer to such an effect as "wind buffeting"
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.