Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GAMEPLAY - Rename Constructions  (Read 1042 times)

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
GAMEPLAY - Rename Constructions
« on: February 22, 2009, 08:41:44 pm »

Search Turns up nothing on "renaming constructions", "rename Constructions", "rename levers" or "Renaming Levers" I find it hard to believe it has never been suggested but 0 results so here goes.

Just a simple request.  I know we can add notes to levers and such, but I would prefer if I could just rename them.

I have thousands of objects, I would like to have descriptive names like instead of pitchblende bridge, I could name it "Entrance Pit Bridge" 

And if I have twenty levers I would like to be able to name them stuff like "Magma to Obsidian Chamber" and "Water to Obsidian Chamber" "Entrance Stone Supports" "Bridge to outside" "Noble Magma Shower" and the like rather than 20 "☼Obsidian Lever☼"
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
Re: GAMEPLAY - Rename Constructions
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 08:53:14 pm »

I don't know how troublesome this would be to implement, but I'd get a kick out of it.

Right now, I tend to put map notes near my bridges with their names on them.

"East Bamguskekim Bridge"

"Cell Block A Execution"

Etc.

--But being able to tie the name to the actual bridge would be both handy and awesome.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 09:02:07 pm »

This should be called "rename buildings"- constructions are walls, floors, fortifications, ramps, and stairs that have been built.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 09:06:02 pm »

Req37, TRIGGER LINK INTERFACE, (Future): It could be more clear about what you are linking to and what it will do.

Apparently, his Toadliness is one step ahead of us.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 10:42:14 pm »

Req37, TRIGGER LINK INTERFACE, (Future): It could be more clear about what you are linking to and what it will do.

Apparently, his Toadliness is one step ahead of us.
Maybe, But maybe he also knew of the problem but had no practical solution as of yet.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 12:14:18 am »

I'd prefer plaques, signs, and custom engravings. It'd mean more to the game if a bridge, lever, or room was named not because of some abstract naming/noting system, but because your dwarves actually honoured the site with a plaque or sign saying such. It'd make a big difference in adventure mode, particularly if towns were pre-generated with signs to tell you more about what you are seeing, and if you only knew that bridge was the bridge of doom because of the sign standing before it, not because all the dwarves knew the name who lived there but are now dead.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 03:39:44 pm »

However, I would still like to see the name change apply to menus; would really help to organize things

FoboslC

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 03:46:54 pm »

Notes, anyone?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 03:48:28 pm »

Notes, anyone?
Alas, notes are only shown in the (N)otes menu. Other menus ignore them alltogether. It would be grand to select a lever and have it's name reflect what it does. So really just an extension on the Note system.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 09:21:54 pm »

Notes, anyone?

Kindly read more carefully.

I mentioned the notes system, but the information contained within is hard to access at a glance.  This would allow instant identification.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 09:25:19 pm »

Yeah, I'm meticulous about sticking notes on all my levers, because sometimes I'll play another fort or not have any time for DF for a while, and my memory will start getting hazy about what a given lever does.

But you've got to leave notes mode to issue orders to your levers, and a couple times I've made mistakes when there have been a lot of levers in the same place. One time they were all obscured by smoke. Now I try to build levers out of varying materials to make things a little easier, but it would be really nice to be able to rename them.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.