Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Change tile into ore?  (Read 582 times)

NastyDiarrhoea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Change tile into ore?
« on: February 15, 2009, 04:04:48 am »

Hi i posted only yesterday onto this forum. I was asking about ore.exe (a utility which does exactly what my title is asking about) but it turns out that the kind people who gave a reply were right. Ore.exe was written for 23a. Damn.
But anyway I have made this awsome fought with everyone alive and cuddly rooms with masterpiece obsidian furniture and all but on the map I chose there is practically no ores and so I was wondering if there was an UPTODATE utility similar to ore.exe that could do what I'm asking. Any responses help me please.
Also I am a noob so real simple language when telling me how to get the utility working please!  :)

Plus on a completely different note I dowloaded maydays tileset and changed my init to match:

[WINDOWEDX:1024]
[WINDOWEDY:800]
[FONT:maydayMIN.bmp]

Full screen info.

[FULLSCREENX:1280]
[FULLSCREENY:1024]
[FULLFONT:maydayMIN.bmp]

But absolutely bugger all has happened (excuse my French; sometimes I just get so angry! not at anyone in particular of course)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 04:21:22 am by NastyDiarrhoea »

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Change tile into ore?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 04:46:33 am »

[GRAPHICS:YES] for maydays, maybe?

As for ore...

Do you want to mine it? Or do you just want some ore to smelt?

For the former, I dunno of anything that will add ore to unmined portions of your map for you to find.
The latter is possible, with a little reaction_standard editing. EDIT: You can find the reaction_standard file in your [whatever-your-df-folder-is-called]\raw\objects folder, it's a text file.

Find a reaction you don't forsee your self wanting to use (I typically mod one of the blah blah (use bars) reactions) and changed the following.

To begin with you might have:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:BRASS_MAKING2]
[NAME:make brass bars (use bars)]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ZINC]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:COPPER]
[PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:BRASS]
[FUEL]

You want to strip some of the lines of brackets ( [] ) so it looks like this:

[SMELTER]
REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ZINC
REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:COPPER
PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:BRASS
[FUEL]

Then we add in a PRODUCT line to create ore...

PRODUCT:100:2:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:HEMATITE
or maybe...
PRODUCT:100:2:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:GOLD

The red number is how many you will get per reaction. One job of 'make brass bars (use bars)' will produce two of the limegreen item. So if we use the first reaction I listed, every 'make brass bars (use bars)' would give us two hematite, and for the second, would give us two gold.

And add it to the reaction, so it now looks like this:

[SMELTER]
REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ZINC
REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:COPPER
PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:BRASS
[PRODUCT:100:2:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:HEMATITE]
[FUEL]

Let me leave you with a link: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Reaction and happy modding.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 04:48:23 am by Sinergistic »

NastyDiarrhoea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 04:51:28 am »

Chears I'll have a go at that now!
It didn't really matter whether I mined it or not I just wanted to mess around with the metalworking industry...  ;D

NastyDiarrhoea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 05:22:24 am »

No for some reason it still hasn't worked I also tried some other things too. I looked through the wiki and copy pasted some of the reactions there in but none of them seem to change anything.
I have been creating new worlds and all so it's not that.  :-\

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 07:07:03 am »

You need fuel, like charcoal (chop down trees, turn into charcoal at a... kiln?) to power the reaction. You can avoid this hassle be removing the brackets from the [FUEL] tag.

Furthermore, if you are going to gen a new world, you might as well edit... the matgloss_stone_mineral and matgloss_stone_layer files as well.

Make some of the minerals more common by making them appear in more biomes, and tone down the really common stones like microcline/alunite/orthoclase/olivine (personal preference, really. If you do want to change them, try CLUSTER_SMALL, it should get rid of those ridiculously large areas of useless stone, in favor of smaller clusters that don't clutter the place up quite so much. You could also make them veins.)

If you don't wanna mess with what appears where, try to embark on a sedimentary layer, they tend to have some of the most interesting stuff in them. Even better is a sedimentary layer with a igneous layer nearby.

Edit: you really only want the matgloss_stone_mineral file, it has the metalwork stuff in it. Something you can do before genning a new world is make some of the more interesting metals appear in
[ENVIRONMENT:ALL_STONE:VEIN:100]
instead of whatever they already had. This should net you some of whatever it is almost anywhere you embark. You *MIGHT* not find it, but chances are you will. World gen has some weird quirks some times, and some stones/gems don't get bumped in favor of others. Think of them as if they where competing for space on your map, and some of them don't make the cut.

Edit2: You might also try smelting just bars instead of making stone. This is a much simpler change if you wanna do it the cheaty way.

Lets say you want pig iron bars, because you don't wanna cheat and just get straight steel

[REACTION:PIG_IRON_MAKING]
[NAME:make pig iron bars]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
[REAGENT:1:REACTION_CLASS:FLUX]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:PIG_IRON]
[FUEL]

change it to...

[REACTION:PIG_IRON_MAKING]
[NAME:make pig iron bars]
[SMELTER]
REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON
REAGENT:1:REACTION_CLASS:FLUX
REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:NO_MATGLOSS
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:PIG_IRON]
[FUEL]
And tada, you can smelt pig iron bars without needing any of the reagents. You can also nix the fuel tag if you don't have any magma smelters.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 07:16:35 am by Sinergistic »