Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Junk incinerator?  (Read 731 times)

Andayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Junk incinerator?
« on: February 14, 2009, 03:51:47 pm »

Hiya all.

I want to design a Junk incinerator. What I plan on doing is having a 5x5 room filled from above with all the junk from battles, then fill it with magma from above and let all the crap burn. Only thing is I want to be able to retrieve the iron that does not melt afterwards. This means draining the 5x5 magma chamber. Do items flow through wall bars or grates? Could I use them to filter out the iron I want to save while the magma flows away?

I know some of you are going to say just dump it and smelt it like normal but I love designing and building these types of structures and mechanism's its all part of the fun for me.

Anyone built anything similar? Or even a save file I could load up of a similar system so I could get a good look around how it all works. Thanks in advance!

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
Re: Junk incinerator?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 04:10:32 pm »

Magma'll flow through grates/bars and also fortifications (which, being constructions are always magma-safe).
I think there's a bug about flows pushing stuff through grates/fortifications/etc. tho.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 05:57:25 pm »

Magma has never pushed stuff through the grate in my incinerator yet, though. I think it flows too slowly.

However if you make two grates/fortifications/whatever in a row it should prevent the bug from happening.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 09:29:29 pm »

Magma has never pushed stuff through the grate in my incinerator yet, though. I think it flows too slowly.

However if you make two grates/fortifications/whatever in a row it should prevent the bug from happening.
I've  never had it happen with me either, but i've heard about it
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 05:09:19 am »

For bonus points, have the floor of the incinerator a retractable bridge that drops onto the metal stockpile. Flushing with water to prevent metalworker ignition is optional.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Andayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 06:53:09 am »

For bonus points, have the floor of the incinerator a retractable bridge that drops onto the metal stockpile. Flushing with water to prevent metalworker ignition is optional.

Hehe thats a great idea.  Going to try and start my Incinerator today, expect loads of crispy dwarfs for the BBQ this afternoon :P

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 03:46:08 pm »

Also optional is instead using flaming charcoal as an incinerator. Once you light bars of charcoal, my experience shows that they will keep burning for an entire year. Anything dumped onto them that isn't non-flammable will be burned away.

This also has the benefit of leaving non-iron metals intact. Convenience varies, depending on your tolerance for smoke. It doesn't seem to bother the dwarves but it can block your view.

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 03:53:28 pm »

magma is good....but fire imps lighting your garbage on fire is full of win.

garbage in the middle, fire imp on one side, bait on the other. may take a few tries to get the fire going. Side effects of slight burning, etc. etc. Dont forget the chimney.
-Toast-_

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 04:11:58 pm »

magma is good....but fire imps lighting your garbage on fire is full of win.

That put an amusing image in my mind.
"Time to burn the garbage" A dwarfs comes with a shackled and gagged imp.
The dwarf fixes the imp onto the incinerator, removes the gag and starts squeezing the imp to produce flames.

But in game terms that is near imposible to accomplish