Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ehm... sieges? please?  (Read 856 times)

Angellus

Ehm... sieges? please?
« on: February 13, 2009, 11:43:35 am »

Why are those stinkin gobbo's not attacking me?
I now have a fort of 147 dwarves, up for hours now, and I am still yet to be attacked by a goblin tribe, I've checked c, and it does state I have some gobbo's and krem's near me.
Out of fustration I've been killing every elven caravan I have yet to see here at my fortress, but they also do not attack me... WHAT HAVE I DONE WRONG!?

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ehm... sieges? please?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 01:05:11 pm »

Hi, check if you have a goblin civ near you;

Press c to see the civs around you. Is there a goblin one?
Your riches are important as well. More = more likely to get attacked.

Angellus

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 01:12:51 pm »

Hi, check if you have a goblin civ near you;

Press c to see the civs around you. Is there a goblin one?
Your riches are important as well. More = more likely to get attacked.
Jup, there is a goblin one, riches are unviewable by me, since my broker does not have the appraisal skill.

EDIT: Could there be a bug which stops sieges untill you have appraisal?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 01:29:48 pm by Angellus »

it_is_coming

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 01:32:37 pm »

your civ might be at peace with the goblin civ. are there red dashes next to the goblin civ listing?
Imagine the datascape of the future, where digital archaeologists, scouring the uninhabited and long-abandoned corners of the supernet, uncover our creations (save folders) and hopefully the means to appreciate them in our context (a DF installation).

And that ... that is immortality.

Angellus

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 01:36:52 pm »

your civ might be at peace with the goblin civ. are there red dashes next to the goblin civ listing?
No, just a green P, how could I change them into my enemy's?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 01:56:25 pm »

No, just a green P, how could I change them into my enemy's?

You can't. You have to gen a new world.

Remove the [INTELLIGENT] tag and replace it with [CAN_CIV] and [CAN_LEARN]. Also remove the [BABYSNATCHER] tag in the civ entities file if you want sieges right away.

Removing the ability for goblins to speak means they cannot form treaties, which means they're always at war with everyone.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 02:05:19 pm »

My current fort is located fairly close to three dark goblin fortress, controlled by different goblin civilizations, but only one goblin civilization shows up on my [c]iv screen. According to the screen, my civ is at peace with that goblin civ. However, I still get sieged regularly, although I don't know what civ the siegers are from. I'm pretty sure I've recovered equipment from dead invaders that was decorated with images from the history of the "at peace" goblin civ, though.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 02:44:10 pm »

Hi!

The 'civ' screen during fortress mode usually shows goblins and kobolds at peace with you - this does not do anything to their behavior. The "dangerous" peace is the one you have on the embark screens, and people reported seeing goblin caravans in such cases.

As for the original problem, I have no clue as to what could be the problem ... except maybe there is a distance problem. Maybe the goblins live far, far away and are delayed by the game because of that. I know, it sounds odd, but then again, there seems to be a great variety in goblin activity in player reports. So, their mechanisms seem to be relatively complex.

Mmmmhhhh, while I do not really think that it would impair their abilities, how many famous individuals are listed for your goblin civilization in the fortress mode civ screen?

Deathworks

Angellus

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 03:26:56 pm »

I get 7 names in the civ screen.
IF I restart a map I'll take the ork mod XD it looks like a bloody great mod for this kind of stuff!

Or civ. mod, I dont know what I should choose XD

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 03:30:06 pm »

Hi!

The 'civ' screen during fortress mode usually shows goblins and kobolds at peace with you - this does not do anything to their behavior. The "dangerous" peace is the one you have on the embark screens, and people reported seeing goblin caravans in such cases.
This means that a certain goblin or kobold civ is at pease with you. While it could mean there are other goblin or kobold civs that are at war with you.

His problem is that there is only 1 (or more) and they are all at peace with him, so they would never attack him.

As for the original problem, I have no clue as to what could be the problem ... except maybe there is a distance problem. Maybe the goblins live far, far away and are delayed by the game because of that. I know, it sounds odd, but then again, there seems to be a great variety in goblin activity in player reports. So, their mechanisms seem to be relatively complex.

Mmmmhhhh, while I do not really think that it would impair their abilities, how many famous individuals are listed for your goblin civilization in the fortress mode civ screen?

Deathworks
[/quote]