Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animals: Adopting vs training  (Read 728 times)

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
Animals: Adopting vs training
« on: February 08, 2009, 08:28:09 am »

I'm losing a catsplosion war, and I'm confused about how to stop pets being adopted, and how training occurs.

Under what conditions will an animal adopt a dwarf? Is it when they are "uninterested" or when they are "for sale"? Does caging them matter or stop this? Does marking them for slaughter stop it?

How does training work? Does the dog have to be caged or uncaged? Does he have to be "Not for sale" or for sale?

I'm hoping your answers will help me manage these animals better, and I also want to figure out how to ensure a dog gets trained and not adopted.

Cheers!

Emperor Iones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animals: Adopting vs training
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 08:47:51 am »

1} Only cats will adopt dwarves, and only dwarves that like (blank) for their [PREFSTRING:] will adopt/bring animals.
In my experience, anyway.
2}Uncaged, and all you need is an animal trainer set to train the dogs.
Keep in mind that the dogs will follow the trainer around while queued to be trained.

Caging every kitten/puppy/etc helps, as does a 8 z-level deep Pit Zone.

enino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 10:00:21 am »

On a side note,

I had a dwarf who liked deer. Conveniently an Elven Caravan brought a caged deer to my humble fortress. After stealing the caged deer i discover release it out of its cage in the meeting hall. Unfortunately, the blasted elves sold me a completely braindead deer with all its legs broken and a damaged spine. Just as i was about to use it to make some nice leather bags. My deer loving dwarf (who happened to be the tanner) adopted it. Now i have a completely immobile braindead deer sitting in my meeting hall.

More on topic,

I always assumed Dwarves (bar cats) adopted the animals they liked. The way i stop them adopting is putting them in cages :P (unless its a dog im going to train)

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 01:18:43 pm »

Kill the deer somehow. The tanner will be sad, but he'll get over it with a nice dining room and good food.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 01:29:40 pm »

You're marking your pets for adoption by accident. Only way that deer incident could have happened

As for cats, pick butchers that don't like them to avoid problems just about entirely

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 03:13:38 pm »

On a side note,

I had a dwarf who liked deer. Conveniently an Elven Caravan brought a caged deer to my humble fortress. After stealing the caged deer i discover release it out of its cage in the meeting hall. Unfortunately, the blasted elves sold me a completely braindead deer with all its legs broken and a damaged spine. Just as i was about to use it to make some nice leather bags. My deer loving dwarf (who happened to be the tanner) adopted it. Now i have a completely immobile braindead deer sitting in my meeting hall.

That's hillarious.  ;D Something like that has happened in my fortresses as well a couple of times... :D
These damned elves.... >:(

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 04:56:48 pm »

if things get really out of hand, you can make an upright spike trap as a pit for animals, dump them all in, and have someone pull the lever a few dozen times.

greggbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 05:37:33 pm »

Just cage up all your female cats and kittens BEFORE they get adopted by dwarves.  If your dwarf adopts a female cat, consider killing it.
ou have struck Mica!  Now Niki''s gonna kill you!