Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mliltary management?  (Read 760 times)

Lanyth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Mliltary management?
« on: February 11, 2009, 08:28:18 pm »

So, I have started my first actually more serious fort (other ones didn't really make it that far till I gave up). Now the problem is I have a bigger military and there's tons of problem for me.

How do you properly manage your dwarfs' equipment? I have been having trouble getting dwarfs equipping weaker weapons during training and stronger weapons during an actual defence. I tend to have a lot of sparring accidents more then from actual attacks. Managing armour is a pain because sometimes I'll give them "Wear plate" but they'll wear a plate armour and clothes on the rest. Checking each and every single dwarf to see if they have armour is annoying and even then I'm not sure if I have the proper armour in the stockpile. So is there an easy way to just check every dwarf. The best I can do is check their profession and if it's recruit or wrestler I check their inventory for a weapon.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
Re: Mliltary management?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 10:40:18 pm »

You'll want to forbid your extra better equipment to prevent sparring dwarves from using it; I like robbing elves for wooden weapons for training purposes.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mliltary management?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 02:01:21 am »

The only way to do it now is micromanagement. Lots of lots of it.

Create separate stockpiles for weapons/armors of different material/quality. Each stockpile should have be enclosed in its own room, with doors you can lock.

With equipment already equipped on your soldiers, unassign them all on the "x" screen. Mark them to be dumped if you need to (reclaim them later). Then wait, until all the equipment is thrown back into the stockpiles.

Then lock all stockpiles except the ones containing items you want to use, and assign your dwarves to use weapon and armor.

It takes a lot of preparation and time, you need to check each one of your soldiers again and again, and lots of key presses.

Or you can also do it with the z menu, mass-forbidding and reclaiming things. But you will have no control over your soldiers switching equipment when you're reclaiming things.

That's why I prefer traps, and only keep a small amount of soldiers (all wrestlers/marksmen) just for the concept, and don't care a single bit about their combat efficiencies.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 02:04:35 am by kcwong »