Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DIY Cavern  (Read 2036 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIY Cavern
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 02:20:52 am »

Well....in the strongest dwarven tradition, my attempt are producing an underground riverside city had some....complications...  :-[

I was attempting to divert magma to block off the river while I dug out the city, but, err....things didn't quite go to plan. Amazingly enough, one of my founding miners actually survived a dip in the magma!!  :o

His feet were badly burned of course, but its a recoverable wound. At least, it would have been, had not a few dozen other dwarves succumbed to the molten river.

Turns out magma can flow a surprising distance along an underground river! And my city wasn't quite designed to handle a river of magma, spilling over the banks and causing assorted mayhem.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 02:27:33 am »

Hmm. I'm feeling inspired. Hollow out a massive cavern with exposed rivers of water and magma, but with buildings like you'd find on the surface within the cavern...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 02:40:36 am »

It would've been so awesome, too, except it ended in a cataclysm of magma, burning dwarves, exploding booze, and murderous tantrums.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 02:44:05 am »

you need stalactites. I'm surprised no one has already suggested this one.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 02:46:10 am »

It would've been so awesome, too, except it ended in a cataclysm of magma, burning dwarves, exploding booze, and murderous tantrums.

What do you mean would have been awesome? Magma, burning dwarves, exploding booze and murderous tantrums is how we define awesome!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 03:58:40 am »

I am so damn jealous.  I really should have held out for a site with an actual magma pipe.  That was my original plan, but I ran out of water.  And goblins, after the elves showed up.

The reason I can't farm isn't because goblins don't have their own plants (I renamed the resulting boozes for just this reason).  It's because goblins don't have farmers.  And my savanna is short of brewable plants (damn hide root).
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 04:07:23 am »

are there spontaneous cave plants that aren't just growing tower caps?
I've never seen 'em.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 04:16:46 am »

Shrubs grow underground, and behave just like the surface.  You can harvest underground plants from them.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 07:58:38 am »

Make sure there's some sporadic ponds in your terrain just like on the surface. Dig a 1x1x1 pit and fill it with water. When it's 7x7, expand it by four squares at most and keep having it filled. Keep doing this until it's a nicely sized and natural-looking pond.

Once again this game reminds me of the old 2d game exile....(ah memories!)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2009, 10:52:20 am »

some magma and "other subteranean features" specific vegetation would be kewl...list it under "increased subterranean diversity". :)

Damn. I'm abandoning my recent fortress and go scouting for a nice caveriver again. :p
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 10:26:59 am »

i just started to build a cave as it sounded kinda intresting but the funny thing as like 2 mins later 3 muskoxes had moved into the cave, its small because i just recently started it.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 07:17:54 pm »

Here's my attempt:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4651-luregloves

However, I'm rapidly losing interest in the fortress, mostly due to framerate issues. I think I went for too big of a scale, as the fortress, when fully complete, will use up an entire 4x4 grid on the world, and thats downright gigantic!

If anyone wants to continue on with it, I'll upload the save.
Pages: 1 [2]