Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: White Tools  (Read 1769 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
White Tools
« on: May 02, 2010, 08:26:48 am »

White tools.
Arm your peasants, for they are always the first to be attacked!

Hi guys! So, this is the white tools mod. You see I have noticed that a lot of people have
this idea about using workshops as an easy training method. I never liked that very much, it
always felt a little cheep to me, and I personally remove this option from my game. Although
I guess there WAS good reason for some of these free training methods, I mean who liked
dabbling workers?

But still, it always felt like cheating to me, and so I made white tools. It features
several weapons that are to e used by your general population of workers, rather then in
your primary military. These weapons have the advantage of using general skills, rather then
combat skills, meaning that invasions offer a great chance for unskilled workers to gain
some easy skills, but it doesn't feel as much like cheating because they are very much
risking life and limb.

These weapons were not made to be good in combat. I'm very new to weapon modding and not yet
sure how it all works, but I do plan to nerf them further when I figure more things out.
This is also very fitting in the latest version of DF, because the ability to have your army
in uniform all the time means that you can have your workers carry around there fun new toys
constantly, and helps to maintain the fourth wall by giving the engraver a chance to use a
chisel.

From looking at the raws, I was hoping that workers would grab any item that relaes to
active skills, but as it turns out this only works for wood cutting and mining. Shame...
I do plan to add more weapons and other improvements as time goes on.
To install simply drag the two text documents into the objects file in your raws. IF your
currently using a mod that has new entitys in it then ONLY drag
item_weapon_training_by_max_white into the file, and then add the following into your entity
file.

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SPADE]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SCALPEL]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_KITCHEN_KNIFE]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_ROLLING_PIN]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CHISEL]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_HAMMER]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CANE]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_FISHING_GAFF]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SICKLE]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: White Tools
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 08:28:37 am »

I just wanted to tell that training workshops train the skills much slower than real jobs thus I don't consider them overpowered :).

Andmilitary are there because otherwise they almost refuse to spar :(.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 08:30:14 am »

That's alright, I understand perfectly that it does take effort to train with these workshops. You have done a good job with them Deon!

There just not to my personal taste, so here is something that that can work with, or as a replacement to, the workshops.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 07:18:32 pm »

A few hundred views and 4 downloads.
I'm doing well for myself then...

Gudamor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 09:16:34 pm »

So how's this mod work around the "dwarves in the military will never go back to civilian jobs" bug?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 10:37:01 pm »

Good question...
Well, you see, toady fixes the bug, and the game stops crashing. I figure I might as well get it out there in case people want it for something until the next release.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 03:22:39 pm »

Interesting, but I just set all civvies to have the woodcutting labor.  (Except miners, of course.)

I do that after I've clear-cut the map for the first time, which is about the same time that I need defense.

And, happily, this fits well with my need to train peasants into dabbling weaponsmiths to game strange moods.  I just make a bunch of no-quality bronze or iron axes.

Once I've had a weaponsmith strange mood, I then make a big batch of masterwork steel axes, and dump&forbid the old bronze ones until I can melt them.  (Modulo the melting crash-bug in 0.31.*, not yet fixed.  Trading or offering them is better at the moment.)

I haven't mixed the new burrow system into this scheme yet, but I should be able to have my actual woodcutters cut down trees without having a hundred unskilled workers wandering the wilderness or caverns.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 08:14:53 pm »

Interesting tactic.
I mean it won't get you a legendary butcher out on the field shredding goblins with a kitchen knife before going back to chopping meat, but it is effective!