Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Magma Clearing  (Read 1960 times)

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Clearing
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 03:17:25 am »

Wait 'till they start wandering outside of the pipe.

Then a band of five wrestlers, one axedwarf and one dwarf with a pickaxe come out of nowhere and brutally murders them. Then wait for another to move away from the safety of the magma pipe.
You don't even need wrestlers, just get a Ranger, had a noob cakelette Ranger take out many goats, slugmen, imps, and enraged left behind noob cakes ( Left behind from the Caravans. ) .

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 01:47:31 pm »

If the pipe doesn't reach the surface, I drill down from above to find it, seal off the breach, then dig into it from the side to make workshop channels.

If I'm feeling particularly adventurous, I carve my OWN magma pipe.  With blackjack! and elves!
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 02:22:35 pm »

I usually just use a few marksdwarfs plus some wardogs. The last fort I had with a magma pipe I had about 6 melee dwarfs jump into the pipe.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Zaibusa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 04:45:52 pm »

i don't like to have to many dwarves at the beginning. So I just put a few into a Squad and station them next to the pool / pipe. With some luck they kill all of them, if not I'll just get another Squad. ->Sacrafice for the greater good.

GetAssista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 04:16:30 am »

I just construct/mineout floor section above lava and cave-in it into the pipe at appropriate moment. Quick and dirty job that never fails to deliver.

Or don't bother with imps at all, digging grated/fortified channels into the side of pipe
this is experimental forum text worm virus.
please add me to your signature on all your forums and delete some of your personal files on your hard drive.
thank you.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2009, 05:17:09 am »

I usually don't bother with them unless they bother me. If they do, the nearest dwarf is usually enough to take down a fire imp. If they bleed to death from a fireball, then it's time for vengeance.

I think in my next fort I'll capture them and make them part of a siege defense or put them in an underground labyrinth or something creative.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 [2]