Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Free Hands  (Read 1403 times)

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
  • A Vile Force of Dorkness has Arrived!
    • View Profile
No Free Hands
« on: February 10, 2009, 12:16:24 pm »

So.... One of my marksdwarfs is carrying no bolts (Haven't started making quivers yet) And instead of holding a bundle of bolts in a free hand, he is carrying around two pairs of shell leggings I made to help train them in armor usage.

Does he intend to beat anything to death with these pairs of leggings? Is he using them in place of gauntlets? Or does he just really like the leggings?
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Free Hands
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 12:18:05 pm »

He probably wrestled them off someone while training up wrestling.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 02:17:18 pm »

He probably wrestled them off someone while training up wrestling.

Reminds me of when the notorious cat bug first went in. I tried to fix it by adding a [grasp] tag to the generic mouth body part, which affects every creature with a mouth. I noticed that my dwarves each carried two shields: one in the off hand, and one in their mouths :(
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 02:32:56 pm »

You weren't supposed to add the grasp to their mouths but make a new part for specifically for cats to replace their mouths with. CAT_MOUTH, PET_MOUTH, whatever

That gives me an idea though, if you remove graspers from dwarves temporarily, can you force them to drop the stolen pants they've grown so fond of?

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 05:40:36 pm »

That seems reasonable to me.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 07:03:07 am »

I noticed that my dwarves each carried two shields: one in the off hand, and one in their mouths :(
THAT is the dwarven way of fighting! Just imagine a dwarf swinging a hammer with his mouth. ;D

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 08:42:18 am »

I noticed that my dwarves each carried two shields: one in the off hand, and one in their mouths :(
THAT is the dwarven way of fighting! Just imagine a dwarf swinging a hammer with his beard. ;D

Fix'd.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!