Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: No. 1 reason why i love DF  (Read 2251 times)

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No. 1 reason why i love DF
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 04:12:14 am »

The versatility - A bridge need not be just a bridge, it can (from what I've read, I'm still a newb) also be one kick-ass goblin crushing machine.

I actually like to build my bridges out of constructions, except for the moving parts, unless I'm in a hurry - a fancy, multi-hundred-construction bridge can take a while complete.

If I build a bridge that is just a bridge-component, it'll be a drawbridge over a moat and framed in a fancy gate house(often with integral killing field), stuff like that.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 04:32:58 am »

The versatility - A bridge need not be just a bridge, it can (from what I've read, I'm still a newb) also be one kick-ass goblin crushing & THROWING machine.

You missed something up there. I fixed it.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 05:47:51 am »

The fact that the game seems startingly aware... i can do something unique when i play it.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 03:11:10 pm »

I just realized something. Even the next DF version [..and the game will be far from being complete still -> v1.0] will be HUGE. Lot of new features & fun stuff will be added....seriously I cannot even imagine about the epicness of the v1.0 version...It will just blow our minds away, and it will force us to play lot of hours on a daily basis?  ;D

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2009, 04:03:32 pm »

DF v1.0 will be greater than the universe; it shall surpass the universe, and consume it. Then we shall all live in the world of DF, and ToadyOne will be our lord. Those who have donated faithfully shall be dwarves; those who do not donate at all, elves. Those who have not heard of dwarf fortress will be locked in the HFS.
That might make an excellent armagadon sect.

I love DF because it is the most varied game I have ever played. No other game comes close to the amount of options. The 2nd reason is the fact that it gives rise to things like boatmurdered and nist akath. Reality TV doesn't come close.
Long Live United Forenia!

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2009, 05:12:34 pm »

I love creating a "Hammer-hall"

One way into my fortress, a long 5squares wide corridor with one outer gate, one inner gate, and one small steel door on each side....

Goblins enter, see the fortress population deep in the mountain.... then *smack* both bridges raise, doors open, and out comes steel clad hammerdwarves... ready to re-paint the wall in goblin/orc red ;)

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2009, 05:18:33 pm »

the combat fascinates me in this game.

mrchinchin25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 09:09:10 am »

The names do it for me over and over again...

My latest fort, Shieldrisen, has been going for around 15 years, and features dwarven heroes that would make Rambo himself fear for his life.

Eg.
Catten "Inktundras the Patterned Haze" (who has personally killed 1 Sasquatch, 8 goblins and 1 titan)
Domas “Princessrag the Scaly Uttereances of Glazing
and
Tekkud “Papermodest The Helmed Pear of Spreading

Pages: 1 [2]