Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marks of War; Histories of Greed and Battle  (Read 948 times)

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
Marks of War; Histories of Greed and Battle
« on: February 01, 2009, 12:44:43 am »

Okay, so I'd thought I'd try something different. Obviously things looked different at the time, which was like, an hour ago, but after making a new world a few days ago, and working on a dwarf, as I'm usually going human and killing elves for fun, I thought I'd be a dwarf and try bringing the fight to the Green Menace. So I trained up a Dwarf as my first character this world.

After I was ready, and had gotten a nice party of Nine, including myself, I took on a raid on the Bastion of Cruelty. And...well, as it happens, I got inspired by the events.

The year was 264, of the Sixth Age. Long ago, the mountains had shifted, and spat out the bearded ones. They had come out of nowhere, and had taken into hand, most of The White Spine. They were harsh, but not heartless. They were of the stone they worked, and died. In the time they had risen, the Mudmen, the tall, and brave, though not quite bright, and begun to rise in power. Soon, a mutual partnership had been forged. The Dwarven Nation, although paranoid, and not exactly trusting of their neighbors, took them in stride. But they were slow, and thus, when the elven people from across the Blueness of Savages had arrived, they had no idea what to make of them.

The humans, who had begun to encroach on the greens, and great forests of the west, were taken by surprise when yelping and crowing elves would swing out of trees, planting arrows at point blank range into thier foresters faces before they could raise a hand. The elves had brought a new thing to the land. A weapon, other then the club, or the crude spear. Long bloody war over resources, or for the elves, tradition in guarding the forests, had begun. But the elves would refuse to leave their forest, where they had the advantage. So when the humans set alight the greater forests, many of the elves burned to the trees they loved. It was known as the year of fire.

The dwarves, yet prone to the way of war, yet mighty they already were with a pickaxe, or a hammer pounding steel, learned to craft the sword, and the axe. Overwhelmed in their genious, they used their newfound weapons of war to great effect. Along with mighty armours, that could turn spears and break arrows.

Being the power over the two, they came down from their White Spine, and offered the humans their blades, in exchange for gold, as was the want of the dwarves. Though greedy, they were terror inspiring on the battlefield. In the blackend forests, they pushed the elves aside. And on the great frozen plains were the final battles fought. The elves were driven over the sea, only to return several hundred years later, weaker, because of the Great Enemy.

After the elves had been defeated, the humans prospered. They built great empires, and with their hardfought resources, forged great cities, and learned, though never as good as the mighty dwarves to the east, how to make the blade, and the shield. The humans, as was THEIR want, would fight amongst eachother. While the dwarves prospered off of their war.

They would hire themselves out, fighting for one side, or the other, always shifting loyalties. Some mudmen would be outraged, but they realised the value, in the metal craft, and their arms, that the dwarves would not make good enemies. And so it was for most of the ages.

Until the decline. Dwarves, expending most of the outter edges to the Spine, were forced to dig deeper into the mountains to extract the gold they hungered for so much. Which is when two equal great things had been discovered. The blue metal, unbreakable, and near unforgable, a gift from the gods! And the terror in the deeps! Demons, great and small, they were all powerful. The dwarves waged war with them, but were no match for their great hordes, for they kept coming, some, the same demons, slain perhaps days before, could be seen fighting in the mountains again. So the Bloody Passes were closed...but the dwarves, rubbing their hands and looking on at their prize. The blue metal, of which they had mined great amounts before being pushed back from the demons, was theirs to forge!

And so for hundreds of years, the dwarves had tried to make use of the metal. And their power grew, but still they had been on decline. Not long after, most of their great discovery had been lost, buried in long forgotten Fortresses, or stolen, back, it is said, by the demons that had made forays out of the mountains, though it is thought impossible, and indeed could be, as they have not been seen at large for hundreds of years.

Then the elves came. They were ragged, and unarmed, poor, and easy targets for humans, who harried them as they made their trip, west, avoiding The White Spine, and never returning. And behind them, came the Great Enemy.

Made of bile and slime, the Green Skinned bastard children of the Dark Gods ravaged the Mudmen, as they had the elves. War flared, and the Humans were forced to retreat, to their citadels and castles, to which the elves could not best. So the green menace set their eyes, on a new target.

The bearded dwarves, who though hungered for more, still had plenty of their gold, and their crafts were great. Bloody war was soon waged, the goblins inferior in arms and skill, but in great swarms they came. No side gave in, and their were locked in a terrible stalemate, skirmishing around the mountain homes. The goblins, taking in example of the dwarves, their great enemy, had forged fortresses just as they did, out of dark rock, and their raised their gods, who sometimes lead them in attack, though always were driven back.

In many years, the greater council of demons, the ones who called themselves gods in the eyes of the Green Skins, ended the war, so they might find a way to crack open the human castles back to the east, to which they still had little luck.

And so it was, for near a thousand years, when the great wars fought and lost in these times were forgotten, and the three sides had grown to make peace.

And in these times, were hungry gods ask for blood, they sometimes, pick a mortal, to start the bath.

In these times, Greed has come and past.

In these times, there is only Battle.

In these times...there is only War.

"Sh. Quiet." Sibrek Mortalroads hunched over. Behind him, all of his best friends gathered around him. Kor, the Macedwarf, hunched beside him, looking at the entrance of the darkstoned fort. "Why are we here Sibrek?" Whined Urist, the Marks Dwarf. The eight of them, Sibrek included, shushed him, though the other eight had to supress their own questions as to why they were here as well. "I shall show you." Sibrek gazed on.

Kor had known his best friend for atleast twenty years, and all of them were still young and wild, taking 'quests' and adventures into the wilds around The White Spine. He felt something was wrong with Sibrek, like something was wrong with the way he gazed at the darkstoned walls of the fortress, where they shouldn't even be. The goblins didn't like trespassers. Though they usually didn't do anything about them, it was still rude to invade their privacy...and rumour had it their priests were starting to take offence to them being so close.

Sibrek had made them all dress in their arms and armour, the things they had earned after joining the army. They had little time for adventures now, but they were all dispatched to an outpost to wait watch, and they had left the second shift to duty. So they had time.

But it was still strange. Sure, a blade or a hammer would be wise to bring along. After all, the jaguars and the wolves were hungry around here. But easily beaten off. Armour wouldn't be needed, unless the humans were around causing trouble.

But they had gone off east. Or most of them anyway. Kor supposed they were trying to make the best of whatever the...what were they called? Ulfs? No...Elves? Kor couldn't remember. There were stories of them, but they hadn't been seen...ever perhaps. Kor didn't think they were real anyway. "Sibrek, we should leave." Kor was about to finish when his friend got up. "Marksdwarfs, cover the entrance from the foot cliffs. Axes, take the gate. Secondaries, take the flanks. I shall lead. The eight other dwarves stood stunned, mouths agape. Kor was one of them indeed.

Attack the goblins? They had never fought the goblins! Or maybe they had...long ago, but not now! They wern't at war! They would be killed by the goblins perhaps if they attacked...or maybe their own clanskin if they discovered they had attacked. What was Kor thinking! This was madness! And he was worrying about trivial things when he needed to stop his friend! "Sibrek-"

The dwarf gazed dark eyed back at Kor. "Either your with me. Or your dead." Kor stood their dumb struck. Sibrek had gone out ahead, leaving them all there. He strode up to a waiting greenskined priest, who was tending to flowers outside the darkwalls, and the gate. "A dwarf? Here? Say there! Ho! What are you doing wander-" The steel battleaxe in Sibreks hands met the goblins neck. Sibrek took up the fallen head that had been cleaved in one strike from his the goblins shoulders, and helt it up for all of his stunned clanskin to see. "THIS! THIS IS THE FUTURE! ATTACK!"

In these times, Greed has come and past.

In these times, there is Battle.

In these times...there is only War.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Marks of War; Histories of Greed and Battle
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 02:28:26 am »

Nifty story. The beginning sounded like a history from a religious text, which is pretty cool.

And then there was the senseless violence, which I'm not a big fan of. Supposedly this Sibrek guy is chosen by the gods to start a blood bath, but that wasn't readily apparent.

Must. Know. More. Regardless.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 07:23:38 pm »

Its really suppose to be a 'dwarfy' story. You know how goblins come and start the fights with your dwarves for no apparent reason? And how most wars in Legends ends up starting for stupid reasons?

Well I always liked to think of things like that as the will of the god behind the race. Or gods. It always gave insane or foggy matters of violence something of an importance.

Its a world not much unlike all the others in the DF's Multiuniverse.

One fight is merely a prelude to a battle, each battle a piece of a war, and each war forgotten behind a string of other wars.

The chamber was dim, and there were only a few torchs lit up surounding a table made of black stone. The Greenskins hadn't much use for light, their red eyes blared out into the murk and saw through the dark veil. The torchs were there merely because it pleased their master. "Tell me of the account." The rumble in the chamber came from the head of the table. The grey thing was like ash, red and flecked with a burning fire in it naval. It had no eyes, but it saw everyone of its servants in the room, daring them to speak out of turn.

"On the 12th of Granite, Midday, a squad of Dwarfs had entered the area of the Bastion of Cruelty. At first, we thought the bearded ones forays into our lands was merely to root out brigands of their own kind. They had done so before. But it was not so with these bearded ones. They took the fortress completely by surprise. What happened was unheard of, for the past thousand years. They killed the hagfolk and the whelplings too my Lord. Hanged them up on their own dark walls, with words of evil, written in blood. The priests were drowned in their pools, the guards were all cut down, and hearthholes were covered in blood. There are two distinct things about this attack. The Dwarves were proned to taking heads of their kills, so the majority of the dead could not be readily identified, for proper mention to living relatives. And nothing was taken. It was senseless and bloody violence, unlike what we have seen of their kin. We believe they are not following their kings orders."

The Dark Thing thought for a moment before dismissing his council. Shag'belroth smiled warmly. "So it begins."

Attention!

Be on the look out for dangerous criminals in full!

The Stonefolk in question, one Mortalroads, and his bandsmen, Stormtrinket, Flamewatched, Mountainstriked, Ironhome, Lumberwrested, Stonethrown, Raintripped, and Steelripped.

They are armed and dangerous. If you have any information on any of these Dwarves, bring it forth to the local Captain of The Guard in your Settlement as soon as possible.

There are several depictions of dwarves here, detailed for features, and labled in bold letters. Under the images, in crude and worn letters are messages and jeers about the dwarves in question. Some, though few, cheering on the action, that was not mentioned, though was floating about...

But it was not to be true. The Dwarves could not believe that such blood had been spilled, and by their own! How is it possible, that nine Dwarves could do such a thing? And out of the blue?

But it was so. The Nine dwarves, degrading into madness thought by some, relished the blood shed everytime they striked out at the Greenskins. Caravaans began to vanish, or return tattered with tails of howling bearded folk, wielding blades dripping with blood and goblin bolts etched with the faces of their victims.

More to come.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 09:50:56 pm »

I love this, even though it's a bit bloody. Sounds like we're in for the biggest story about a group of dwarves murdering things yet!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 01:32:45 am »

Its really suppose to be a 'dwarfy' story. You know how goblins come and start the fights with your dwarves for no apparent reason? And how most wars in Legends ends up starting for stupid reasons?

Well I always liked to think of things like that as the will of the god behind the race. Or gods. It always gave insane or foggy matters of violence something of an importance.

Its a world not much unlike all the others in the DF's Multiuniverse.

One fight is merely a prelude to a battle, each battle a piece of a war, and each war forgotten behind a string of other wars.

I guess when you explain it like that it makes more sense. In any case, I'm enjoying this so far, so keep it up.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 07:05:32 pm »

Sibrek released the deathgrip on the thick, corded neck of his enemy. The greenskin gurgled out a few lost words before its red eyes dulled, and soon the brightness was lost completely. Behind him, Kor finished off a priest, who had been holding his hands up feebly, trying to turn the blade that cut pieces of green flesh away from his hide.

Four Dwarves stood up on higher ground, firing hail after hail of bolts at retreating goblins. "Raagh!" Sibrek's axe haft buried itself in the face of a goblin guard. The steel weapon had broken through the weaker iron mask, the glaring red eyes on either side of the haft  dulled, and the thing died. The rest of the goblins had already left.

"Thirteen." Sibrek looked back to see Kor wiping off his blade, holding up a head. He turned back to the horizon, where fires could be seen brooding over the party. "Its a start."

Kaol left the torch behind. He wouldn't need it further on. He stopped behind another dwarf, who jumped when Kaol started talking. "Kaol! Don't sneak up on me like that. I could have put a bolt in you!" Kaol shrugged. But then asked his questions. "Have you seen them yet? Well Grimik?" Grimik shifted. "I'm not sure. I keep seeing stuff from the hillside, like some goblins. They were running, but it looked pretty scattered. Couldn't get any of them to stop either."

"What about...the...you know!" Grimik sighed. "How are you even sure there out here? And why are we out here? I should be next to the fire, swigging some Ale, perhaps with a fine lass snuggled up next to me." Kaol grinned. "Oh like you could get over Ress'a." Grimik turned red.

"How are the others? Is Icebridge acting up again?" Grimik started suddenly, changing the conversation. "More or less. He's still unhappy about being kicked out. Like the rest of us."

"It would have been better if we stayed where we were. We'd already dug into a nice hillside. Even got a small smithy going. "Ah, ain't no life for me. Now what these bastards have going, thats where the adventure is." Grimik had a crooked smirk going. "Seems to me more like senseless killing." Kaol shrugged. "You should know better. The people like to gossip about things until their out of hand. If you ask me, it was about time someone gave it right and good to those greenies."

"Kaol, what if we meet them, and they just kill us? What if they just took their equipment, and left to trouble the goblins for riches? And maybe us'n next."

"Not the way I see it. You want to go back?" Grimik stood there for a long while with Kaol. "No." He said finally, defeated. "I want to go out and make it myself. I just hope were not messing with things we can't handle."

"APOTHECARY! I NEED AN APOTHECARY!" Uthrek (Ut-Hrek) leaned over the bleeding form of a goblin, trying to staunch the wounds. It got out of hand, and the goblin was already dead. "Wheres the Apothecary!?" He screamed at a nearby soldier. "Dead." A crossbow bolt nailed the soldier in the neck. He fell over, limp.

Standing on a boulder, a dwarf pointed a crossbow next at Uthrek. Uthrek thought the next second would be filled with agony, and a bolt right in one of his lungs, but the dwarf cursed as he fiddled with his weapon. The thing had taken more then one knock in battle. He tossed it aside, and drew a mace...

Uthrek was already gone.

East...

Has anyone ever heard of the concept of a community story? Want a character? Want me to mess around with that world I made some more for inspiration? And does anyone care that I bother putting some sort of plot behind the senseless violence? Because I was aimming for something rather worldbreaking.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 07:07:46 pm by WorkerDrone »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 08:25:16 pm »

A community adventure sounds fun, so I have decided that I want a character. A dwarven wrestler named "Om Nomnom" (dwarven for clutter godgods) with the best armor he can have, and he likes eating hands, solid steel, and cookies.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 09:23:55 pm »

Your character will, well in these 'could be' walls of text, be so. But sadly, he shall not eat cookies, cause they do not exist in DF. But he will tend to gnaw on his hands. And others.

Also, the story isn't done ingame. If it was, I figured it would be too restrictive for the story itself. Though most of the information I got from the world itself. So for example. The White Spine, is indeed real. As well as the Bastian of Cruelty.

But if you guys want to mix things up, as I intended this to be more of a 'flight and fight' story, go ahead and give me aname and a description, and I'll try and fix you a honorary spot in the story.