Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prepare for Battle  (Read 1078 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prepare for Battle
« on: January 06, 2008, 04:22:00 pm »

What the subject says.

Forget about over complicated schemes about having soldiers with alternating shifts or whatever. What I would like is some simple order like "prepare for battle" that tells soldiers to go get sleep (and wake at the same time, even if they're no longer sleepy), and immediately drink and eat afterwards -hungry or not- (and smoke a stogie or take a leak or whatever it is that soldiers do before going to a massacre). That way, when you send them "on duty" to get slaughtered, at least they'll be awake and nobody will run away to "drink" or "eat" so they will all die in good company.

Maybe the whole sleep/eat/drink/on break system can take a big overhaul too. As it is now, it seems that dwarves have a "hungry/not hungry" flag that goes off and mandates "EAT NOW!" at fixed times instead of some sort of hunger bar that they can fill even if they're only half-hungry. This would need some kind of fractional item system, so you can have half your meal and save half for later, or any other percent of a food "unit" that you want.

But at least a "prepare for battle" where they gorge themselves with food and drink (even booze if it is the night before!) and have a very good rest before a major skirmish would be nice.

Naero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prepare for Battle
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 04:41:00 pm »

The game already has tags for 'hungry' and 'starving' (and 'thirsty' and 'dehydrated'), why not just make it so that certain important tasks will only be interrupted if the dwarf becomes starving or dehydrated? That makes more sense, a dwarf isn't going to leave in the middle of a battle because they feel a bit peckish, but if they're famished that's a different matter.

I suppose the problem is that a dwarf probably doesn't distinguish between when it's in a battle and when it isn't - it just knows it's on duty. I'm guessing this'll be solved in the upcoming army arc.

Quote from: Toady One
# 03/17/2009: The broken-armed dwarf understood that he needed to run off to the hospital zone properly, but care never came, because I'm still working on that. Poor little buddy.
#  03/18/2009: He's now surrounded by many skilled medical professionals. They still aren't all that useful, but just their presence must be encouraging for him. Well, I guess that's not true either.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 08:27:00 pm »

The thing is, I want my soldiers to be 100% freshened up before a long battle. Such as when you decide you want to exterminate every last monster in the chasm... you don't want half of them to go "hungry/starving/thirsty/dehydrated" or whatever flag makes them eat after the first couple of giant bats they kill.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 10:21:00 pm »

That would be a really nice feature.

It would at least make all soldiers able to actually use their mass strength, instead of attacking the enemy 2 at a time.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 12:23:00 am »

I like this. Even so, they really need to take a "Proactive" eating/sleeping/drinking approach so that when the time comes for them to actually do something, they'll be at their full potential. The only downside I see to this is if you have all your military dwarves on the same schedule, and absolutely NO ONE shows up because they're all taking a leak.

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 03:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tahin:
<STRONG>I like this. Even so, they really need to take a "Proactive" eating/sleeping/drinking approach so that when the time comes for them to actually do something, they'll be at their full potential. The only downside I see to this is if you have all your military dwarves on the same schedule, and absolutely NO ONE shows up because they're all taking a leak.</STRONG>

That's why you have more than one squad on different schedules.