Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Core28, COUNTY  (Read 1521 times)

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Core28, COUNTY
« on: January 08, 2007, 08:38:00 pm »

possibly one of the most interesting future features, when combined with army arc and dvarwen raids.
but it seemed a bit odd to me. a group of dwarven migrants come to dig on a site. they carve nice halls to live in. and then some other dwarven migrants come to live NEAR the mountain, while other (pretty same) migrants go straight into the fortress? why not enter like all other migrants and work inside like normal dwarves?
then i've recalled.. yes, tolkien. the lone mountain and esgaroth. that would make much more sense. a HUMAN population living in the foothills, trading with the dwarves, maybe charging taxes for their caravans to pass through. human warriors could be hired to protect fortress against goblins or to reinforce dwarven raiding party. that would also add a whole bunch of new diplomacy possibilities. what do you guys think, does it make sense?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Core28, COUNTY
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 08:42:00 pm »

Isn't...that what the core is about?

I don't really see what you're 'suggesting' other than "This core will be cool when implemented."  Which it will  :)

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 09:07:00 pm »

as far as i understood devs were going to make a dwarven village near the fortress. i've suggested to make it a human village.
but, actually yeah, was kinda drooling over the awesomeness of this feature.  :)

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 09:46:00 pm »

Well, I'm thinking, the dwarven mountain home is like a city, and it's in a mountain.  But then, smaller villages could be built under small hills, or something like that.

[ January 08, 2007: Message edited by: Fieari ]

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 03:57:00 pm »

Mistemberek, The Restingpicks.  An all new community in the quiet foothills.  Homes starting in the low 300s.  Tomorrow, come home to Mistemberek.

Gettin' me a sweet stone mansion in the 'burbs.  Where's my cave spider silk tie, honey, gonna be late for work!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 04:50:00 pm »

I think some of the County arc was based on the idea of wanting larger armies than can comfortably fit in your fortress without a CPU lag, but I'm not sure how practical that is in the end given the amount of historical figures already.  Having dwarves live indoors now is only practical because of the river farming -- I'm not sure what is usually imagined.  I'm sure some conception of dwarves imagined the fortress more as an actual fortress combined with a mine, with dwarves trading crafts for food or out farming hills.  Having a dwarven community in the outlying hills might make more sense if your mountain isn't necessarily generated with a cave river.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 07:39:00 pm »

what about routing water in from outside?  this is possible now, though there may be z-axis complications later.  it might take slightly longer to get started, but its still totally possible.

even still, the idea of an outlying county from which you could muster some soldiers is awesome.  also, the idea of seasonal laborers that come and go would be frikkin awesome.  imagine once your economy was going, dwarves would come in from outside to earn money by laboring and producing things, then they would leave and take their money with them, excepting that which they paid to rent out rooms and eat.

other dwarves might show up at different times to spend money in shops and things, like the caravan but on a smaller scale and bypassing the trade depot and going directly to shops.

as if that were not bloated enough, nobles might lay down mandates regarding mandatory terms of service, or other interactions with the suburban dwarves.

but i'd like to think of those suburban dwarves as living somewhat like hobbits.  they would still burrow into hills and things, but anything that they lacked the underground infrastructure for they could leave on the surface or travel to the fortress for.  much like the early seasons of the fortress, when you need to leave a couple workshops and stockpiles setup outside the cliff face.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 09:03:00 pm »

it's just that in my understanding dwarves should live underground. not above ground. even the dwarves in my fortress who work outside for brief periods of time start to vomit from that stupid sunshine and fresh air. but if you imagine it the other way - well, you're the boss.

i like puke's idea of travelling dwarves though. they can even totally replace the migration thing. like when your fort starts to prosper, groups of travellers come to your mountain with caravans. some come to labor, some come to buy/sell things, some come like travelling actors or thievs. some of them will leave, while others will probably settle down and become citizens. this will bring in more work for fortress guard (otherwise useless), e.g. maintaining order, gathering entrance toll, exiling crimes and registering new citizens.

Crazy_Ivan80

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 07:56:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>I think some of the County arc was based on the idea of wanting larger armies than can comfortably fit in your fortress without a CPU lag, but I'm not sure how practical that is in the end given the amount of historical figures already.  Having dwarves live indoors now is only practical because of the river farming -- I'm not sure what is usually imagined.  I'm sure some conception of dwarves imagined the fortress more as an actual fortress combined with a mine, with dwarves trading crafts for food or out farming hills.  Having a dwarven community in the outlying hills might make more sense if your mountain isn't necessarily generated with a cave river.</STRONG>

Or even if there is a cave river, outdoors activities (wether directed from the fortress itself, or via such a village) might enable the growing of non-subterranial plants (normal wheat, animal fodder and such) and a place to herd your animals (cows, horses, maybe sheep later on, on meadows outside eating the grass. In winter they need to be stabled and get fodder for dinner)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 08:31:00 pm »

I believe there was a thread with more details on that arc, it included receiving orders from the king to move your squads and when you had the king you could control the entire dwarven army. When squads reached a location, you'd jump into an adventure mode of sorts.

At least that's what I remember from it.

As for bringing the outside river indoors, from what I understand, the further you dig east the lower you're going in the mine, so yeah, water should move in that direction.

I'd rather be able to dig directly down using overlaid maps instead of just heading east, but I guess it is simplier this way.

As a last comment, we could use pigs to eat useless refuse, perhaps generating more meat and fat based on how much the thing managed to eat. It's a good way to turn your trash food into real, useable food.