Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Startouch, the awe-inspiring tower (Community fort)  (Read 1127 times)

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Startouch, the awe-inspiring tower (Community fort)
« on: January 02, 2009, 03:04:31 pm »

12th of obsidian, the year two.

So I've just been evicted from my tenement for overdue rent, and the baroness is angry with me for missing her pewter mandate. Things look bad for me. I am writing this from the bottom of the dungeons, and considering how the hauling situation looks, things are bleak.

14th of obsidian, the year two.

Wok and Tyuli, two acquaintances of my, showed up at my cell today and showed me a little survey map. One of the most inspiring mountains in the world. They're gathering a band together to build one of the most awe-inspiring towers ever, and they want my skill. They also had a letter of pardon, should I accept this task. My answer was the only one, really.

16th of obsidian, the year two.

So I've met the rest of the team and gained some familiarity with em'. I've done up little profiles on all of them, and glued em' into this diary. So here goes.

Tylui is, well, impatient and lazy, but he gets the job done. He's got some aspirations, being the original orchestrater of the tower plan.

Wok is, and always has been, a trusted friend of mine, even if he is a bit odd, and has a funny accent. I don't know how old he is, but he was around when the first royals emerged to take control… Which makes him at least four hundred years old.

Robin is cheerful, optimistic, and was one of the most useless dwarves in the fort. An animal trainer by trade, she loves animals, but can also turn a cat into a full suit of leather armor. And she's bringing two delicious dogs with her.

Geithor is, uh, kinda unobtrusive. He's been keeping to himself, and as far as I can tell he's only in this for the money. A dwarf of few words. He has mentioned that he likes hurting animals. I think I'm staying away from him.

Silvereyes is creepy as all hell, mostly because she's blind. Hence the nickname, and the blank stare she gives off. I think she was blinded in a forge accident. Sometimes, I think she's watching me, but that's absurd.

The duke is not a duke. He just kicks tree ass and takes tree names. You can hear him screaming "Willow! Oak! Feather!" from inside the fort on quiet days. He's totally nuts. He also has a thing against elves. Can't blame him.

1st of granite, the year three.

We've arrived. Wok is digging into the mountainside and the duke is attacking trees. Soon, I hope we can get dug in and find some nice, black stone to begin the tower base with.

2nd of granite, the year three

Tylui spotted a herd of Nightmares on the mountainside. This isn't good. He counts five of them up there, and Robin is talking excitedly about catching and taming them. Right. I think the only thing we can do is ignore them, but it's annoying that we already have a setback.

6th of granite

Wok makes good time excavating the temporary base. We're getting room for a carpenter, mason, mechanic and crafters, and he's also going to excavate some storage room and a farm. After that, the duke is going to make some beds for us. That's as far as we're going to develop it. Then we build the tower.

9th of granite

Those two are still working. It's boring, but it needs to be done.

22nd of granite

I'm having Wok's table installed in the temporary hidey-hole. Tylui is going to do ledgers in there, and the duke is going to build beds now. This is all very, very boring for me, as I still have nothing to do. Now everyone but me, Robin and Silvereyes have something to do. And Silvereyes creeps me out with her vacant staring.

24th of granite

Okay, what the hell. A dog and a piglet, not animals of ours, came out of nowhere today and won't leave us alone. We've nicknamed the dog "Plank of wood." because it's thick as a log.

28th of granite

The nightmares have buggered off, to be replaced with bighorn sheep. I think we can handle sheep. Sheep aren't a problem. Robin being depressed, however, is. This Reg-forsaken mountain is in the grip of something evil. I can feel it. Maybe this is a bad place for a tower.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 04:28:01 pm by Glacies »

Dr.Universe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Startouch, the awe-inspiring tower (Community fort)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 03:09:14 pm »

While you haven't actually posted anything regarding information, can I assumed it's similar to... Mountain-Banners? That is, a fortress within a tower... or is it just some giant, monolithic tower? In any case, I'm interested.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 03:26:35 pm »

While you haven't actually posted anything regarding information, can I assumed it's similar to... Mountain-Banners? That is, a fortress within a tower... or is it just some giant, monolithic tower? In any case, I'm interested.
Well, Mountainbanners was more of a bridge. I have yet to see a truly awesome monolith, as the towers others have made were more along the lines of a traditional dwarven fortress with a tower plopped on top.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Dr.Universe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 03:44:00 pm »

I meant... a Fortress made up and confined soley within a tower... much like how Mountain-Banners was a fortress made up, and confined soley within a bridge. Basically, a big ol' column filled with all the things needed to run a fort, and keep the dwarves mildly sane.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 09:48:35 am »

How goes the fort?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 11:00:48 am »

Huh...

When it comes to things like eating dogs, DF writes itself.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 10:03:26 pm »

Indeed indeed I say to thee, the Great Toady One handed us down the RAW tags, and they were scribed onto tablets of stone. Received they were by OCD kitten-slaughterers, on the mountain of Boatmurdered. It is written on the walls there that The Toady One has created everything before it was found, and he continues to create and give for us to find. In his creating, all was made, including a preference for the consumption of dog, and though it is odd, it is good, for The Toady One had made it so. So says the bible of the Toady One, scribed with the blood of Nist Akath's dead.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 06:42:11 pm »

Awwwww I killed it...

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 11:09:00 pm »

Indeed indeed I say to thee, the Great Toady One handed us down the RAW tags, and they were scribed onto tablets of stone. Received they were by OCD kitten-slaughterers, on the mountain of Boatmurdered. It is written on the walls there that The Toady One has created everything before it was found, and he continues to create and give for us to find. In his creating, all was made, including a preference for the consumption of dog, and though it is odd, it is good, for The Toady One had made it so. So says the bible of the Toady One, scribed with the blood of Nist Akath's dead.

I wonder if Christians find this as funny as I do (I'm atheist).
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 10:08:24 am »

I wonder if Christians find this as funny as I do (I'm atheist).

I'm Christian and I thought it was hilarious when I wrote it, still do. Anyone who hates it needs to relax, or else I'll post the bible of Longcat and Tacgnol.

Also, write some damn story glacies.