slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
Re: Skills
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 10:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Refuse bins are disgusting.  There'd have to be some kind of job with a chisel to scrape all the gummy stuff out of the wood.</STRONG>

And c'mon Toady, only n00bs make wooden bins.  Heheh, my garbage bins would be made of solid gold and never tarnish.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 11:35:00 pm »

Ast Zarethzasit, Goldsmith is throwing a tantrum!

On a more serious note: maybe chasm orders could borrow the stockpile specialization screen for great specificity.

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 01:16:00 am »

On the Butcher issue:

I've never had issues with my shops.  I keep a small Corpse/skin pile right next to it in a 5x5 room.  Any cancelled or postponed orders get placed there.
Example:

code:

xxxDxxxxxDxxx
x     x     x
xButh-x Ref-x
D er  D Use D
xShop x     x
x     x Pilex
xxxDxxxxxDxxx
x           x
x           x
D   Food    D
D Stockpile D
x           x
x           x
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I also have at least 1 professional "Food Hauler" for every 2 shops I have active.  These dedicated haulers usually clear out all my shops very quickly.  Only issues I ever have are making enough barrels for everything :D

Btw:  This setup has me at almost 1500 cooked food and 500 alcohol in stock at all times with only 2 butcher shops, 2 kitchens, and 2 brewery's on a fort of 70.

Retro

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 04:31:00 am »

Meh - do I really have to have the shops right next to piles and not in rooms less than 10 tiles away to actually increase my chances for successful tasks?

As I said earlier, clearing off food is no problem since that is done in notime - it's the actual performing that is so shoddy - and it shouldn't since stores are practically nextdoor.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 06:20:00 am »

Rage, if it is really giving you a hard time just build another butcher shop or two and set extra dwarves to work.  It'll feel slowest while you are scrutinizing it, but your dwarves'll train up sooner than you think.  Supplement their butcher jobs with some strays to slaughter, thats quick food, and quick XP too.  As long as you haven't overlooked the importance of tweaking your refuse piles, it doesn't matter what layout your shops are in so long as your butchers always have the next corpse nearby.  Let them keep working and focus on a new project.

EDIT: here is a tip, put a booze only stockpile near your shops... oh man, I hope you got booze 'cause if not that'll slow 'em down even more.

[ January 10, 2007: Message edited by: slMagnvox ]

Pages: 1 [2]