Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Few questions about adventure mode  (Read 793 times)

Wilm0chimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Few questions about adventure mode
« on: January 24, 2009, 08:11:03 am »

1) How do I find a fortress I want to explore?

2) If my fortress is full of artifacts, are they scattered around at random when I explore in adventure mode? If I make a locked room full of adamantine equipment, will it still be there when I go back to explore?

3) Also, will I have to play a dwarf character if I want to be able to use any dwarf armor I have made in the previous game? E.g. a spiffy set of adamantine plate, since humans normally wear 'large' sized armor.

Thanks for feedback.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 08:14:46 am by Wilm0chimp »

Ancient Whale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Few questions about adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 08:48:43 am »

1) Find a town and ask about their surroundings a few times. It might take a dozen tries, but they usually mention your fortress. If they don't, you might be too far away. If you remember anything about the vicinity of your fortress(in the south-west of the world, perhaps), you can try to find a town(or mountain hall or retreat) closer to that vicinity and ask about surroundings again. A player-made fortress is apparently a very interesting thing because people from pretty far away will still mention it in their surroundings.

2) The scattering is because the locations of the items has not been saved to the computer, rather than some programmed chaos-making by the game itself. With this in mind, locked doors will not have any effect on the location of the items, and I'm not even sure locked doors stay locked when you explore fortresses in adventure mode.
If you want to find items in adventure mode, put them in the Trade Depot before abandoning. Items inside buildings will not scatter.

3)Yes. Dwarf-made body-wear only fits dwarves.

Mikko

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 02:53:37 pm »

I'd like to correct that items on stockpiles (eg. bin full of coins) are where they were when you abandoned. I am not sure about what happens if you lose your fortress for monsters or barbarians, but I'd assume the same.

I am not sure about task items in workshops, but I'd say they're all over the fort.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 11:11:29 pm »

2) The scattering is because the locations of the items has not been saved to the computer, rather than some programmed chaos-making by the game itself.
Untrue. Hea'y things don't get scattered- such as rocks. Lead bins(or just full ones) are usually heavy enough to not go anywhere for one abandon.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets