Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem, or opportunity?  (Read 2024 times)

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problem, or opportunity?
« on: January 19, 2009, 06:26:12 am »

OK. So I booted but my Faerie Fort mod, and embarked on the shores of a Haunted ocean with a Haunted forest behind me. That's not important. The zombie deer don't want no aggro and the ocean seems to produce only jellyfish.

This being a Faerie fort, I could embark with cougars (you ALWAYS get cougars. They can live anywhere. They're the dwarves of the cat world. Except for being, you know, big.). So I did, 2 cougars and 2 cats.

We also got a muskox and a 2-hump camel as draft animals. Both female.

In the first year or so, because of the absence of non-undead game, we were sort of short of leather. I ordered some more animals off the fey liason and bought the jaguar the Elves bought me.

Then some migrants turned up. They had a breeding pair of Elk as pets.

Then the muskox and camel both dropped calves. How does this happen?

Then the traders came back with more cougars, another jaguar, another muskox, and a solitary leopard.

And in the meantime, the original pair of cougars had been busy.

Then we got young elk fawns.

Then we got more young camels and muskoxen.

And the cats are being remarkably invisible.

SO. Heading towards the end of year 3, my 44 Faerie are outnumbered by the animals. I've butchered surplus males and a few extremely surplus females (sparing the young) and every unattached cat I could find, but we still have over 50 animals. Cougars are the biggest group. The Muskoxen and Camels next, then there's the still small but growing family of elk. The Jaguars, thank god, are both male and the leopard is lonely. I feeling the situation slipping away from me.

This being Faerie mod, the cougars are trainable (but that's not as helpful as it sounds. War animals have a hard enough time keeping up with Dwarves and Faerie/Elves are a lot faster) I'm sure I could have no problems giving a War Cougar bodyguard to every founder and woodcutter, but I'm sure the novelty will wear off with time. The Leopard and Jaguars SHOULD be trainable, but don't seem to be. I think it's because they were bought off the Elves and have those brown wounds to organs.

This is pretty cool. But I'm a little bit scared. It's much harder to control this sort of thing than a simple catsplosion, because you have to maintain a breeding group from each separate species. Plus, all these things are valuable meat/leather animals. We SHOULD capitalize on this.

I never planned for this place to become a goddamn ranch.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
Re: Problem, or opportunity?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 08:30:06 am »

Ive got 12 diffent types of animal in year 2 playing the elf style civ on the zombie mod  ;D.  Pet groundhogs, rhesus monkeys, grizzly bears, getting immigrants is a fun time for me. 
  Your Muskox and camel either were pregnant when you embarked (fairly common) or they bred with animals that the traders brought their stuff on.

Sounds like you have to stage alot of living vs dead pit fights.  I dont know if it still works but I used to use wounded animals like dwarf steriods, I injured all my war animals by tossing them into a pit then assigned them to dwarves with animal caretaking turned on.  They got legendary pretty quick.  It was a good little exploit but the right height to injure stuff properly also killed a fair few of my furry friends.

My opinion: Cats are always a problem, they should be avoided on embark and butchered whenever possible.  The rest of them are oppertunity.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 06:34:19 am »

I've....never had a problem with cats frankly. I believe they get blamed for a lot of other FPS problems. In any case, I'm pretty quick on the butchering front.

I found a fortuitous solution. To the cougars at least. I had a guy training in swordsmanship get a spinal shortly after he reached Swordwarden (swordsdwarf) status. Since he's not elite (and pretty much the rest of the military is) he can be assigned animals. So I've handed him a steel longsword (only superior quality. Sigh), assigned him all the war cougars, and well, basically turned him into a war cougar delivery system. Since he'll be on defense the speed issue doesn't matter so much.

The rest can supply us with leather and meat.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 08:54:10 am »

Hello!

So, what are your house rules for that fortress in detail?

And now that we know about your success at animal breeding :) :) :), I at least would really like to know about your citizen breeding.

Personally, I think the cat hatred is more based on the thing that you can't order a cat around. A dog - which happens to be favored - will slavishly do whatever you ask of it (provided you are able to make it understand what you wish it to do :) ). The FPS thing is just an excuse. Believe me :) :) :) :)

Deathworks

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 10:41:40 am »

I dislike cats because they kill vermin. And I like catching vermin via animal traps and having my dwarves eat them or make extracts from them.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 10:44:25 am by Murphy »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 01:59:15 pm »

I dislike cats because they kill vermin. And I like catching vermin via animal traps and having my dwarves eat them or make extracts from them.

I like stuffing all the caught vermin in one cage, and sticking captured prisoners in it... I dunno, regular cages don't seem like enough.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 04:18:14 pm »

Hello!

I like stuffing all the caught vermin in one cage, and sticking captured prisoners in it... I dunno, regular cages don't seem like enough.

Interesting. But if you consider that the dwarves consider vermin a delicacy at times, I am not sure whether you are not actually making things more comfortable for your prisoners - you know, free tv snacks in abundance...

The world of DF is always so complex and confusing :) :) :) :)

Deathworks

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 04:36:03 pm »

hmm. good point. You can't check to see which vermin goblin captives have an aversion to, can you?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 12:03:51 am »

Hello!

So, what are your house rules for that fortress in detail?

And now that we know about your success at animal breeding :) :) :), I at least would really like to know about your citizen breeding.

Personally, I think the cat hatred is more based on the thing that you can't order a cat around. A dog - which happens to be favored - will slavishly do whatever you ask of it (provided you are able to make it understand what you wish it to do :) ). The FPS thing is just an excuse. Believe me :) :) :) :)

Deathworks

Hello!

It uses my Faerie fort mod (http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28015.0) with a popcap of 80. Basically I'm playing Elves that act like like dwarves. And who don't like the OTHER sort. They dig, they mine, the smelt, they chop down trees. They use bows and can't make maces or hammers. Or plate mail. Or greaves. I'm really missing Dimple cups. I embarked here thinking I'd find Sliver Barb, but no joy. And I refuse to dye cloth with Blade Weed.

Sorry. Mind wandering.

I blush to admit it but I have yet to see a marriage or baby at this fort. I'm not sure why. I have a legendary dining room and a meeting area. Maybe I should set up a statue garden.

I've embarked Spinal Swordguy on a one-Fey crusade against undead deer. His trail of War Cougars stretches half-way across the map.

NewMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • I would rather have Asimov be right.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 05:15:41 am »

Cougars: like cats save bigger, scarier, useful and delicious  ;)
*Has learned to despise the windows 7 beta within half-a-day* *It's still better then vista, though* *Wants to mod in a race of giant robots, but can't be bothered*

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 06:38:53 am »

We have had our first baby! Joy of joys.

I'm wondering where the goblins have got to though. Beginning of year 4 and only one snatcher??