Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another way to kill the enterance dance.  (Read 832 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Another way to kill the enterance dance.
« on: January 19, 2009, 06:27:54 pm »

Either someones already mentioned this and I shall be ridiculed or it will be a good idea. Onward!

Cage a goblin (or dangerous animal, whatever) in a space, 1x1, behind a glass wall near your entrance (which should not be too wide)

when the time comes to seal your entrance, release the goblin! Dwarves will run from it despite the fact its behind glass, but the military wont (hopefully).

Once the all clear sounds, pull another lever and open a door behind the goblin which leads to a cage trap.

Rinse and repeat.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Another way to kill the enterance dance.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 06:37:22 pm »

Or you could put goblins underneath the entrance, with hatch covers attached to a lever to open them up to the entrance way and scare the dwarves back from the entrance while letting the military through, Marksdwarves will kill them though.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 06:57:42 pm »

I don't think it'll stop the dance, just knock it back inside some tiles.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 07:00:58 pm »

You should keep it up on a platform.

Though i personally prefer exterior walls.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Lexender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 07:14:14 pm »

You could actually dewpopulate a very large part of your fortress by using this trick, mass engineering, and a lever located in your "bunker". I may try to to that one day.

Question: If I use goblins from ambushes/sieges, will it prevent any other ambush/siege to happen?

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 07:42:09 pm »

Well I was going to say "Magma".
But I guess we are trying to keep the offending dwarves alive.
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 09:56:07 pm »

I don't think it'll stop the dance, just knock it back inside some tiles.

That was my intention, the titles a misnomer. sorry