Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trading Question  (Read 3686 times)

Abaxial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/stultiloquent
Trading Question
« on: January 24, 2009, 05:08:04 pm »

Okay.  I'm trading with a dwarf caravan, and I have a couple of questions on issues I'm dealing with that I'm certain others must have had, but can't find when I search.

When trading with the caravan, the allowable weight is up to about 3000 left unfilled.

This is after I have selected things from their side to trade.

I then select my stack of Lavish Prepared Food worth 3000.  The trader is showing about 1800 profit.  He complains that there's no room on his animals?

I just haven't had this problem before, and I'm a little confused.

That, and I can't seem to trade a few barrels of prepared food.  The 'offer' button greys out if I select a barrel of prepared food.

Still getting the hang of DF, but having a blast.

Peace,

Abax

Hurgal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trading Question
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 06:27:39 pm »

Well, I think I can help with your inability to offer goods to the caravan.  You can only offer goods that you have created in your fortress, or that you have placed decorations on in your fortress.  For example, if you plunder a Narrow Cave Spider Sock from a dead goblin, you will not be able to offer it to a caravan, while the Cave Spider Sock that Urist McClothier made in your Clothier's Workshop last week will work.  Alternatively, if Urist McGemSetter encrusts the aforementioned Narrow Cave Spider Sock with some Jelly Opal, it will now be okay to offer.  A quick way of telling if something is marked as not originating from your fortress is that it will be in parentheses.  The Narrow Cave Spider Sock from the previous example will be listed as a (Narrow Cave Spider Sock).

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 07:44:12 pm »

You can't offer imported goods. These are any items that you gain possession of that come from off the map. If the barrel has () around it, or anything inside the barrel, then it can't be offered.

Regarding the weight issue, there should be a weight indicator on the trading screen that can't go in the red if you want to successfully trade. It has nothing to do with value or trader profit. Try taking more of the traders' goods to lower the weight, especially bars and stone and wood, as those are usually the heaviest materials.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Abaxial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 10:58:27 pm »

That's just it, the weight indicator in this case is wayyy in the blue.  About 3000 weight into the blue, not in the red.  Yet he says "I wish I could take this... but my animals..." or something along those lines.  As though it IS heavy, though it's not. 

It's puzzling.  Okay, I just looked at the screen:

I'm taking an anvil off their hands, and am trying to sell some stacks of roasts worth a thousand each stack, some worth two thousand.  The balance ends up being:

Trader Profit: 1143
Value: 9013

Allowed Weight in the black: 4080

His word at the offer: "I wish I could take so much, but my animals..."

I figured there would be someone who ran into the same thing.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 11:21:59 pm »

It sounds like you are trying to use the 'O'ffer command for trading. You need the 'T'rade command.

Offer just gives them stuff from your inventory, without taking anything in return...

(Which also results in their wagons being overloaded because you're not taking the heavy stuff from them, but that's a minor concern when the merchants are stealing your stuff)

Abaxial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 11:30:55 pm »

Oh, seriously?

That would explain quite a bit.  I didn't notice the (t) so I assumed the (o) was to complete the trade.  As in "To make an offer".

Okay, thanks.